64 bit Games? Far Cry did it - any mac candidates?

Discussion in 'Games' started by iriejedi, May 18, 2005.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Well the long awaited Far Cry update is out.... of course that is in the yucky Windows world - and to think you'd have to pay huge bucks to get the 64bit Windows pro version once it is truly officially released.... last I checks it is a beta demo you can try temporarily - not what I want running my box.

Anyone know of any pilot projects to bring a 64 bit game to the mac?

2. Rian macrumors newbie

Negligable Results

I'm not eager to see any 64-bit development yet. It'll get there some day. Have you read Anandtech's review of Far Cry 64bit? (http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2411) It showed almost no performance improvement. The improvements that they did see (i.e., better textures) they didn't attribute to the fact that it was 64bit but instead simply that it was a content update or patch as well.

But to answer your question, no, I haven't heard of any projects to bring 64bit gaming to the Mac yet. :rolleyes:

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Beta of anything sucks,Mac OS 10.4 or 64 Bit windows. They both will be cleaned up and better given time. FarCry is a great game and has better game play then Half Life 2 or Doom3 in my view though all are great. FarCry has steeper reqs then Doom3. Not Many Macs can Play Doom3.

4. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Now don't be fooled. There were actually two updates in that update. First you have the 64-bit code, then you have the extra stuff. The 64-bit code can be installed by itself. It doesn't give much performance boost.

The extra stuff (better graphics etc) could very well have been installed on the 32-bit version, but they've blocked that possibility to make it look like you need a 64-bit processor to run the game with new and better graphics. This is, of course, utter ********. A bad-minded marketing approach, that's what it is.

Anandtech has a good test of it. Make sure you read all the pages. They came to the same conclusion. First they installed the 64-bit code. It gave a few percentage performance boost. Then they installed the better graphics. So don't be fooled to think they got a performance boost after the graphics, as some other person I discussed this with thought..