64-bit iPads & DAW Work

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by fastlanephil, Sep 14, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

The next incarnation of the iPad will undoubtably also include the 64-bit A7 chip . Not much has been said about the advantages of this upgrade but could it theoretically allow less demanding 64-bit instrument sample based plugin libraries and 64-bit modeled libraries access to iPad DAWs?

It's probably still a question of wether the iPad will finally have the horsepower to make that happen but if the the A7 is significantly faster than the A6X, the iPad could become a full featured mobile DAW option.

The plugin developers would have to migrate their products over to iOS. A good iOS DAW with at least basic MIDI editing features and standard MIDI export or iOS versions of regular DAWs like GarageBand/Logic Pro that support third party plugins could make it all work.

Any thought about this?

2. macrumors G4

The only thing 64-bits does is allow an address space greater than 4GB.

The bigger problem with running a dAW on an iPad is the size of the screen. I think even my 13" MBP is to small and MUCH prefer my 27" iMac. I don't want a DAW on a 10 inch screen. Well not a large DAW. Apple's Garage band is OK and Logic's remote app is OK but I need more space for editing

For simple recording the iPad is fine, even the iPod Touch works for that.

3. macrumors 68020

There's a pretty significant difference in recording audio on an iPad vs. iPT. I regularly record stuff while out and about, do MIDI work, etc. and then import into Logic X on the desktop, it's extremely useful.

4. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Third party plugins for Cubasis? Yes please! :D

Would LOVE that.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

That's true but my question has more to do with the future availability of 64-bit sample library plugins for basic iPad DAWs that could be used as a convenient mobile device instead my 13" MacBook Pro.

How about someday a 27" multi-touch iPad that will replace the 27" iMac that could also be used as a touch screen for the Mac Pro.