64-Bit Kernel

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kajover, Nov 4, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Is it possible to run the 64-Bit Kernel on the new Macbook Air?
    I tried booting up several times holding 6 and 4, but the kernel is still in 32-Bit (uname -a in the terminal puts out i386).
    Is the ULV C2D CPU even capable of x64?

2. Guest

spinnerlys

3. macrumors 68000

There was a thread about this on the Apple forums. The MBA is capable but won't boot into 64 bit kernel mode for some reason. I've tried a few methods and it won't work. Nobody seems to know why.

4. thread starter macrumors member

The current air isn't supported so I wouldn't recommend messing around with an app that sets the kernel permanently to x64.

missed that somehow... puh.. I thought I was the only one not managing how to "change" the kernel

5. macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm not sure exactly what benefits it would have for you. There are very limited cases in which it is beneficial. Usually it just makes your boot time longer and half the kexts don't work.

6. macrumors 68020

mulo

7. macrumors G4

x2. The nice thing about Apple's approach to 64-bit vs. Microsoft's is that the 32-bit kernel means we don't need to get all new drivers (like Windows users need to). It's meant that more applications have been re-written for 64-bit more quickly than on Windows.