64 bit macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coday182, Aug 9, 2006.

1. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

So its pretty much a gibben that MBP's will be getting a 64 bit processor in the near future, but till Macbooks?

2. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

What's so great about 64 bit anyway?

As of now the MacBook won't get 64 bit until it's an industry standard (IMO), because it is suppose to be a good, quality, but still very affordable notebook. (which to Apple is the lowend MacBook). I wouldn't expect to see a 64 bit MacBook until 6 months - 1 year after the MacBook Pro gets it.

3. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

AFAIK Intel will be shipping the Yonah (Core Duo) 32 bit processors along side the Merom (Core 2 Duo) 64 bit processors until the end of Q2 2007, so at the start of Q3 Apple really have no choice but to upgrade the processors. Having said that I'd expect to see it happen a lot earlier. I can't wait to see what they announce in Paris.

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I don't think I'd expect it as soon as Paris for the MBs (maybe a speed bump?) - I think Apple will put it off until their competitors start shipping the chips in their MB rivals. Until then, they'll want to widen the gap between the MB and the MBP.. and since the MB is so new, anyways, really no reason to update it quite yet.

6. smythson macrumors newbie

I played the waiting game forever and finally - FINALLY - bought a white MacBook today. Do I really need to wait for Rev. B in MWSF? No. Buy one, you'll love it.