64-bit processing and Adobe's Creative Suite.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BenK01, May 8, 2006.

1. BenK01 macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2005
    When Adobe goes to UBs for Creative Suite, would they be 64-bit?

If so, what would that mean for performace? A lot better? A little better? About the same?

Would you advise waiting for 64-bit Intel-based Macs to run Photoshop, InDesign, etc.?
  2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Probably a no.

64 bit won't mean it'll be any faster, it'll be more speedy because it'll be Intel native and running on a faster chip.

I would only advise waiting on an Intel Mac for those apps when they become universal, not 64-bit.

3. BenK01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2005
    Thanks. I won't worry then about waiting for a new 64-bit chip.

Now, where are those ibooks and desktops, Apple?
  4. teknocat macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2008
    I haven't heard anything about when Adobe may release a 64-bit version of CS.

But what I can tell you is that any 64-bit software running on Leopard on a computer with a 64-bit processor will run significantly faster than 32-bit.

For those who own a 64-bit Xeon Mac Pro running Leopard, a 64-bit version of Creative Suite would offer a significant speed improvements. Where it would be most noticeable is in the length of time it would take to perform complex filters on extremely high resolution images.

Steve Jobs demonstrated this at the WWDC in 2006 using an image filtering test program. Both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions were run side-by-side, and the 64-bit finished running the filter in less than half the time it took the 32-bit version.

But for those running 32-bit processors, 64-bit software will make little difference.
  5. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Way to resurrect the thread :rolleyes: