64bit for Unreal Tournament?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by mmmdreg, Aug 24, 2002.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Check this article...for you too lazy to do so, it talks about Unreal being made for 64bit windows on a 64bit computer and blah blah..

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I don't see many benefits to doing so

Games are not the first thing that comes to mind when talking about potential 64bit apps. I wouldn't mind being enlightened on how 64bit code would help games.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My first thought would be that you could have huge environments with lots of detail. You might be able to pre-load a level as you got close to the end of the current one because the memory was available. Physics calculations might work more quickly when longer numbers were needed because the processor would be handle them in fewer cycles. :cool:

4. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Can you imagine a computer that doesn't have a hard drive (that isn't like a trs-80 or apple II, that is)? It would be awesome! 20 gigs of ram would serve as both temporary storage and permanent storage. THe ram could be powered when the computer shuts off and there would be a battery just in case the plug is pulled. 20gigs of ram would cost $5000US at the moment, so it would be possible if we had 64bit processors :).

5. tliptak macrumors regular

I think you would need more then 20 gigs if its a really high powered computer with lots of games on it. But it would be so cool to have ram instead of a HD.