64MB PC100 DIMM Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by keysersoze, Jun 30, 2004.

1. macrumors 68000

Well, I tried to figure this out, but then realized I should just ask the experts... you all!

Here's what I have: 3 64MB PC100 DIMM's. I want to stick them in my B&W... I got them from my boss who yanked them from slot-load iMacs which he upgraded with 256MB DIMMS a couple years ago. I figured the sticks have been sitting around long enough and I should try and put them to use.

Here's my question-- Two of them look identical... One of them looks shorter. They are all the same length and have the same look, but, well, one is just shorter. I don't know what else to say. They are all Samsung made. The short one has a sticker on it that says "64MB Sync, 100MHz, CL3." One of the longer DIMMS has a sticker on it that says "PC100-322-620." Is it safe to assume they will all work? Can I just stick one in at a time and see if something goes wrong? Should I forget about the short one?

Thanks all!

2. macrumors 6502

im going to guess that the short one is a sodimm (for laptops)

3. macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

When you say short, do you men length or height? As chips got smaller, so did the height of DIMMS, so th same ram would fit in a smalle rprofile chip. If its shorter in width then its probably a SODIMM or VRAM chip.

4. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

The length is the same in all 3... (meaning they will all FIT into the empty slot with no problem). One IS shorter (1 inch compared to 1.5 inches in the other two DIMMS), but if you say that doesn't matter-- I'll take your word for it. Thanks all!

EDIT: Hey, um, applemacdude, what's goin' on in with your avatar?

6. macrumors 68040

applemacdude