Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I once connected a 65W adapter to my MBP and it worked fine.

But long term usage... nobody knows :cool:

Power inverter may overheat and catch fire, but that's the worst I can think of. Any engineers on this thread?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think the issue with the 65W one on an MBP is that it can't keep up with peak demand and so might not keep it charged. However, I've got a 65W one upstairs for my MB and have used it on occasion to charge (not while being used) my MBP, with no harmful effects.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
The main thing I am wondering is if a 65watt inverter will:

A) deliver 65 watts and not a drop more, thus forcing my 85 watt magsafe to run on 65 watts, or B) reacts adversely to a stronger current draw than it is capable of, either bursting into flames or, preferably, shutting down.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
I think the issue with the 65W one on an MBP is that it can't keep up with peak demand and so might not keep it charged. However, I've got a 65W one upstairs for my MB and have used it on occasion to charge (not while being used) my MBP, with no harmful effects.

does it charge the macbook faster suing the 85w power supply than it normally does using the 65w

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
does it charge the macbook faster suing the 85w power supply than it normally does using the 65w
I haven't timed them, and so it might, but I didn't notice any particular difference (but, then again, I might not have - I tend to charge overnight). I do know that the 85W one is officially blessed for use on both, whereas the 65W one is officially just for the MB.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
would you do that for me

I haven't timed them, and so it might, but I didn't notice any particular difference (but, then again, I might not have - I tend to charge overnight). I do know that the 85W one is officially blessed for use on both, whereas the 65W one is officially just for the MB.

that would be something i'd really like to know. it might make it worth the $79 to charge it in half the time.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
This was a common question pre-MagSafe too. Using a lower rated adapter/inverter/whatever will simply supply less than necessary, so it will take longer to charge than if the supplied adapter/whatever was used. I suppose that in cases of extreme power usage, it might need to use the battery a bit too.

camatt29

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
85 w on my macbook

my cord for my macbook broke so i purchased the 85 w for the pro it will not charge my laptop in any way if i plug it in the led stays green but will never change and charge my laptop. why is it doing this do i need to change any settings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.