65 year old Walmart greeter fired over pic

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacDawg, Jan 7, 2005.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Walmart greeter fired over handing out his semi-nude pic.
    Claims that due to cutbacks its the new uniform!
    (Says the photo is his head put on another body)

Link to article on DesMoinesRegister.com

[​IMG]

Pretty sick if you ask me! :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yea I just read that on Netscape. Where did you find that photo?

I dunno, to me it looks pretty real. If so, that is some good Photoshop.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Quite sad, especially after he had been told not to show the picture and went ahead and did it anyway. Makes you wonder what he was thinking.....

D

4. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

I got the pic from the greeter at Walmart...

Not really... its on Drudge

Doesn't have quite the same impact without the pic does it?

Woof, Woof - Dawg

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Actually, he looks soon-to-be-homeless. ;)

I admire his guts, though. I'd use a term other than "guts" but see no evidence of that.

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Your so silly, everyone knows all Walmart workers are homeless. :rolleyes:

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

And his man-boobs are nice too :eek:

He was trying to make a point about work standards at WalMart, which I can only imagine are not fantastic. Not the best way, but like you I admire him for sticking to his guns on this.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You have to admire - and thank God for - the structural integrity of the Walmart bag as well.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm sure someone will pick this up and he'll get another job somewhere else. If nothing else than for pity. Or because that's kinda funny.

Thanks for the nightmares BTW. Ewwww.

11. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's really sick -- Photoshop or not. It might be one thing to show your other 65-year-old buddy, but it's another thing to just hand it out to random Walmart shoppers.

I would have complained too, and I'm not usually much of a complainer.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Very sad, but he should have been smart enough after being warned with the first incident. It really looks like his body to me. Now his laugh has cost him his job. :( :eek:

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

It is not Photoshoped, it is real. Just think about it, take a look at the shows behind the pic, they are perfect, no amateur would create those behind the head and there is not blur or any other trick to try to mask any editing, in other word the picture is real or his friend is an incredible state of the art Hollywoo-special effects-retoucher.

14. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Naked or not?

A person is either naked or not. While his shopping bag outfit is certainly far too revealing for my comfort he is by no means naked. Everyone is naked under their clothes.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

side question: what's the job of a walmart greeter exactly? do they just stand at the entrance and greet customers ? (ask because there is no walmart in austria AFAIK)

16. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Yes they also sometimes give shopping carts and baskets to customers as well as give directions and answer any questions the customers have.

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

we dont have them in the uk even in asda (which is owned by wallmart) they would just annoy me if i went in to do some shopping and i got "greeted" and handed a trolly when i wanted a basket or vice versa.

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

thx for the fast replies

it would annoy me perhaps as well

but i guess i found out why they don't bother with austria at the moment: when they joined the german market in 1997 they underestimated the german supermarket-market,competitiors ,unions and laws concerning employment and where you can build your stores
    in the stores they bought they simply hired more people and lowered prices completly ignoring the fact that before those stores where already operating at slim margins (average pre tax margin in germany 2% and _below_ compared to the 5% in the US )
    1 year later the started firing ;)
    and some renting-contracts are already running out for some stores ...

since 1997 they lose multiple hundreds of € every year (up to 750€) i guess they simple don't want to add the additional 10% losses they would get with the austrian market

(they are on their 4th manager since 1997...)

edit:interesting link
    http://www.hicbusiness.org/biz2003proceedings/Andreas Knorr.pdf

19. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Just when I thought it was yet another story about the evil Wal-Mart and it's assault on the middle-class, I was instead directed to a story about an idiot. Please don't do that again.

20. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

That photo has been floating around the web for months. If you do a Google image search on Wal-Mart this is one of the first images to come up.

21. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

A new fad in homeless person clothing. This new fashion statement will be sold by Koach, Pollo Ralf Loren , Louis Vatton, Aberkrombie and Phitch, and other fake brands sold on the streets of New York City.

22. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

This guy is an idiot

I can't think of a corporate entity for which I have more disgust than Wal-Mart. Their do-gooder PR machine is nothing more than an attempt to buy off the approval of a populace too selfish to realize the "low prices" come at the very "high price" of lower wages, curtailed competition and incredible corporate greed.

THEN - along comes this idot and does something SO stupid it makes me agree with a Wal-Mart action - and I HATE when that happens.

23. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

1. Living in iowa, i just want to say not all iowans use phrases like "i seen it". Many of us are fully capable with proper english. And, most of us aren't idiots.

2. Iowans who are wal-mart greeters ARE, necessarily, idiots. Mostly they just sit and glare at you (for being too young, and thenceforth presumably a bad person) but sometimes they will do really random things like this (other random things greeters do: chase people with their canes, tell war stores, and be mentally retarded).

3. This is the first time I've seen the picture in question, but I have seen it on the net many times, as was mentioned-- I don't understand this? Did he have it for a while before deciding to start showing it off?

And no, that doesn't look like a fake. And no, he's not really nekkid. Still really weird, i actually don't blame wal-mart here.

24. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Actually, the article is from 07JAN, but it says in the article he was fired in September. He did hand it out for a while, was asked to stop, and began handing it out again. Why they wrote the article so late, I don't know. Maybe the firing just got publicized because of a law suit or something. Anyway, that would explain the pic being around for a while. I picked the story up on Drudge and posted it here with the link to the Des Moines Register.

Woof, Woof - Dawg