Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
Can you install BootCamp on an external drive? I seem to recall limitations with that, but it was several versions of OS X ago, so I'm not sure if you're able to do that now. If so, I'll do BootCamp on a Thunderbolt SSD.

This thread explains how to do it.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Depends on the external drive - the limiting factor on external tbolt drives is the drive itself, not the tbolt connection. Generally speaking, if a manufacturer has bothered to put a tbolt connection on a drive, it will perform better than the 5400rpm internal. If you're talking about a tbolt SSD, even better.

So technically speaking, games should then load faster off my 7200 rpm thunderbolt external, versus the iMac's internal 5400 rpm drive?

bbkr

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
I've been using a zowie mico at 1600 dpi and a resolution at 2560x1600. No mouse acceleration and no loss of accuracy whatsoever.

I think it depends on grip style. On "claw" grip mouse covers 3-4 times the distance of "full-palm" grip (which I prefer) without need to relocate wrist on the pad.

Currently I'm using RAT 7 Contagion at 3200 dpi without mouse acceleration. I've tried bumping up DPI on big screens (mouse can handle up to 6400) but I ended up with wrist pain after long gaming or oversensitive mouse where side buttons clicks were causing accidental cursor movement.

That's why I wrote 21" may be better choice for clickable games. Your experience may be completely different, no point in calling my point stupid :)

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
So technically speaking, games should then load faster off my 7200 rpm thunderbolt external, versus the iMac's internal 5400 rpm drive?

RPM is just one of many factors in drive performance. If the drives are equal in every other way, then yes, but you'd need actual throughput numbers, not just the spin speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.