655,000 more dead in Iraq than if Saddam were still in power

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

WaPo article

So much for bringing freedom and a better life to Iraqis...

2. toontra macrumors 6502

It's not just the numbers involved that bear comparison. Some of the torture & execution methods currently employed by the various death squads roaming the country make Saddam look like a relatively benign dictator.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

they called it "birth pain" of a democracy, ..... yeah when all iraqis are dead, democracy will be established.

4. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

I wish Bush would finally realize that the notion of democracy isn't all that it is cracked up to be in the Islamic area's.

Hell if they would "vote" on it, alot of people hate the USA there. and if they hate us, they would just institutionalize it.

better to stay away from there. get better gas mileage and use alternative fuels.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

How does a Christian get us into a war when they couldnt find WMDs. 655,000 Iraqi's 3,000 of our own and in the end it was done simply to kick out Saddam. Its very sad time to be an American. Bush & team dont know what they are doing.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I feel thoroughly ashamed for what our Dear Leaders have perpetrated. This is unforgiveable.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh come on now, they're just Iraqis after all. Have you forgotten the lessons of September the 11th already?
    :eek:

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Ya know, I've been saying thsi for a few years now, that Iraq would be better off with Saddam in control. And look, it's ****ing true. Way to go Bush, Blair, and comrads. You have just committed the first step to genocide!

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If they were Jewish would it be better?:D

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Maybe:eek: The truth is they arent christian , they just pretend to be. Maybe they are jewish and just...............................

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Very true...to many abuse religion to justify their action!

12. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

What does 9/11 have to do with iraq???

Nothing, You cant wage war on a country and call it a war on terrorism, terrorists arnt organized into countries

we went to war because iraq had WMD... but they didnt
    well Bush lied to the world, and the american people!

The ends doesnt justify the means!

13. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

It doesnt have anything to do with 911 thats just the republicans best fear card, if they connect everything to 911 than your supporting the terrorists if you disagree.

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Isnt 655,000 too large of a number to have actually happened.

seriously, im no statistician, but more than half a million Iraqis dead? Where are all those bodies?

I am just playing skeptic here.

Yes, any amount of life loss, on either side, is deplorable. But THAT many? Really!?

15. toontra macrumors 6502

I don't think you or I have the faintest idea of what is actually going on in Iraq or how bad things may be there. The vast majority of atrocities are simply unreported.

That being the case, I am willing to accept these peer-reviewed, independent statistics unless anyone is able to contest or disprove them with an equally rigorous study.

It appears that things are worse than even the most pessimistic would have guessed.

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

but 655,000 people.

thats entire american cities, depopulated.

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you're right, the bodies obviously aren't in front of us in our yards/streets or on tv, so they must not exist! :p

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

nvm, you obviously have some sort of personal opinion enflamed into this post.

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

DRshow just asked the same question, the researcher said "during the war time, the bodies can not be found, very often"
    if you ask me, I think the 655,000 might be too large, but I DO think 100,000 is way too small.
    Again, I never witness any war, so I wouldn't dispute their research, since I have absolutely no data.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

oh c'mon now. just poking fun at the theory that if we can't see it, it doesn't exist.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, we've depopulated Fallujah a couple times, parts of Anbar province more than once... I think there's been a couple other towns we've "depopulated" as well. Many reports are that people are burying their dead in their back yards because it's simply to dangerous to attempt to take them to the morgue or a graveyard.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The bodies are not only those of the killed and wounded, the hapless inhabitants of Fallujah and many other towns and cities bombed, strafed and gassed, but all those vulnerable, ordinary Iraqis who have died because basic services no longer work: hospitals, water purification, power, gas for cars, air-conditioning, security, and even the extended family who used to look after their own. Saddam and Sanctions were a pretty devastating cocktail before the invasion, but our Crusading duo have managed to make that era look like a Golden Age. If the numbers are true, and bear in mind that the range of the estimate is from 390,000 to 900,000+, I see nothing but the bleakest prospect of avoiding more and worse carnage. How much bitterness do you need to fuel a civil war?

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

stories like this are commonplace now.

24. Frisco macrumors 68020

That's more dead in Iraq than from Heroshima and Nagaski combined!

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's a start. :rolleyes: