Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
Talk about capitalism. Over 660 new items were listed today on eBay relating to the exploded Space Shuttle Columbia.

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...ag1code=&ebaytag1=&ebaytag12=ebayreg&from=R14

ABC news reports wreckage has been listed too. I checked. But when you click on the item, it says it has been removed.

Not to be outdone, ABC news is already using the story to get new subscriptions of its internet video news service.

http://adimages.go.com/ad/sponsors/house/abc/abcc-big0100.jpg

http://www.abcnews.go.com/

Iraq is happy!

We are happy that it broke up," government employee Abdul Jabbar al-Quraishi said.

"God wants to show that his might is greater than the Americans. They have encroached on our country. God is avenging us," he said.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle....UFBACRBAELCFEY?type=worldNews&storyID=2152926

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
That's so sick, but that's just how people are, I guess. Oh well.

I wonder how long people will try to profit on this for.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
They will continue as long as there is a profit that can be made, sick! :mad:

Thank you ebay for being so diligent, can imagine being a family member and seeing this garbage! :(

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
This is a quote from one of those horrible auctions.

"WHAT A NATIONAL DAY OF TRAGEDY!COMMEMORATE IT WITH THIS PLASTIC, FRICTION POWERED SPACE SHUTTLE, MODELED DIRECTLY AFTER NASA'S COLUMBIA."

Commemorate it? This is absolutely disgusting . . .

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Oh for God's sake...I wouldn't have even THOUGHT about buying anything related to today's horrific accident...thank you for letting me know that that kind of crap is going on over at eBay. Gives me something else to focus on...our continuing stupidity and greed over tragedy. *sigh*

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I certainly hope anyone who puts a piece of wreckage on e-bay dies from toxic materieals on the wreckage, or is arrested for tampering with evidence or something like that. They should also be banned from e-bay...

That's just sick. I can understand the patches, as pieces of history, not to commemorate this event, but to help remember it. Even then, I think some people are charging way too much for some of this stuff. They're being sick bastards by making a profit off of this disaster. They may call it capitalism, but I call it heartlessness.

kettle

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by G4scott
I certainly hope anyone who puts a piece of wreckage on e-bay dies from toxic materieals on the wreckage

This is the serious bit. There are tests that can only be done in space I just hope none of them involved any of these more and more common SUPER BUGS.
Someone settle my mind that anything nearly that bad would have been stored in an explosion proof and hopefully souvenir proof enclosure.

Chad

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2003
send the pukes that try to make money off anothers tragedy over to hang out with sadam and let em get nuked
people are pissing me off anymore no one cares about anything other than themselves anymore it seems !!!!!

sadly this world is falling apart fast

decide to edit this to basically say that it is sad that s

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Now I may look in to my closet to see if I can find something that looks from the Columbia (like a damage flashlight) and see if I can make some money out of it!

It wouln't surprise me some one selling something, what sorprise me in how fast they thought about it. I went to the forums when some one was seling stuff. I still sad, and I will be for a long time, specially when I had the chance to watching it going up once.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
mymemory:

Now I may look in to my closet to see if I can find something that looks from the Columbia (like a damage flashlight) and see if I can make some money out of it!
Probably most of the items are fakes... :)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I must admit that at first I was appalled. Now? After some reflection these folks, whatever you might think, are practicing one of the main principals of capitalism... supply and demand. Don't buy it if you don't want to, but don't knock the business. They have to eat to. How many books came out after 9/11? There was a picture book that came out after the Plainfield Illinois tornado that killed dozens. Nobody complained then, and shouldn't now. Not a capitalist? Then complain. As for the Iraqis... who cares what their government says or thinks. Too much to lose by getting upset over any of this, so just mourn the heroes as you see fit and ignore the other folk.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Jail time

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
-for fencing known government property and interfering with a federal investigation.

They ought to toss in a free psychiatric evaluation as well.

I do not want to encourage the pukes, but isn't it true that under salvage law anything that lands on your property is fair game? I do not have a cite handy or I would post it.

The government is "public" so I am wondering what right it has to claim exclusive ownership to "wreckage" that is not voluntarily tendered by private property owners. There is no probable cause to believe a crime has been committed to enter their property and recover it by force either. The response to this on a legal basis would interest me.

You can skip any claims I support the bad taste, because I don't.

Curious.

Rocketman

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Re: Re: Jail time

Originally posted by Rocketman

I do not want to encourage the pukes, but isn't it true that under salvage law anything that lands on your property is fair game? I do not have a cite handy or I would post it.

The government is "public" so I am wondering what right it has to claim exclusive ownership to "wreckage" that is not voluntarily tendered by private property owners. There is no probable cause to believe a crime has been committed to enter their property and recover it by force either. The response to this on a legal basis would interest me.

You can skip any claims I support the bad taste, because I don't.

Curious.

Rocketman
I would highly doubt if the Shuttle falls under those conditions. Even if it does then there are a lot of loopholes they can take. I am quite sure that the FBI can seize property in a federal investigation, especially federal property. Not to mention that NASA can say that parts of the Shuttle use classified technology and then let the military waltz in and recover it.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by Les Kern
I must admit that at first I was appalled. Now? After some reflection these folks, whatever you might think, are practicing one of the main principals of capitalism... supply and demand. Don't buy it if you don't want to, but don't knock the business.

I absolutely agree. The people who are selling this stuff are just giving the people what they want. If you wish to be appalled at anyone be appalled at the people who are buying it for no good reason.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
From Freg3000:

WHAT A NATIONAL DAY OF TRAGEDY!COMMEMORATE IT WITH THIS PLASTIC, FRICTION POWERED SPACE SHUTTLE, MODELED DIRECTLY AFTER NASA'S COLUMBIA."

Whomever came up with this ad is definately into tasteless puns. Friction??

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Wow. Man, that is just too special. You know what the penalty is for this.

10 years in prison and a 250,000 fine.

I hope they lock everyone of the bastards up. That is just sick, and friggin wrong.

As for the smart ass remarks from Iraq.

JDAM laser guided bomb ....... $1 million
B2 Stealth Bomber................ $2 Billion

While giving another interview about the Space Shuttle, the look on Abdul Jabbar al-Quraishi's face as he sees the contrails off the JDAM right before it desintegrates him....

PRICELESS!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by i_b_joshua
capitalism - maybe.
opportunism - definitely.

they're not the same thing? i always thought capitalism encompassed opportunism...

condemn it if you will. it's good business. i think it's rather lame, i just don't see the point or desire to have pieces of this, but i don't see the point in a lot of things people do. doesn't make them evil.

pnw

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by hitman

But is it morally and/or even legally right?

It depends, and no. Legally, governmental property cannot be transfered through means like this. Morally, it all depends, i personally find it morally irresponsible and downright stupid.

Other people might find it totally within their moral scope.

pnw

Q-bert

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2002
Originally posted by Les Kern
I must admit that at first I was appalled. Now? After some reflection these folks, whatever you might think, are practicing one of the main principals of capitalism... supply and demand. Don't buy it if you don't want to, but don't knock the business. They have to eat to.
True, selling the remains of the shuttle may fall under the rubric of pure capitalism, but that doesn't mean it should be immune from criticism, either. If you want an analogy, child labor is pure capitalism, too (Need cheap labor and/or dangerous work performed? Who better than children under 12, eh?), yet I suspect that there would be very few of us willing to allow that one to slide just because it's supposedly practicing one of the main principles of capitalism. Capitalism isn't an absolute, every capitalist country on the planet puts varying levels of restrictions on it because they know that in certain circumstances, the consequences of "pure" capitalism can outweigh the benefits.

I'm a capitalist in every sense of the word - I've spend my entire life working towards the almighty buck and have no regrets; but I also know that Pure Capitalism != Moral Legitimacy. Just because they're doing something (arguably) resourceful by selling pieces of the shuttle doesn't mean they shouldn't be condemned for it. Even if you optimistically assume that these folks' motivation is based solely on survival, there are lots of ways to make money to eat, you know.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
This is sick, too sick, its like making a statue of the WTC exploding and trying to sell it, bastards, excuse me for my lanuage arn but these people make the world today horrible. I can see selling a patch or a toy or something, they are rare items and if people wanna buy them they can, BUT to sell objects (part of the crash scene)that could unlock the mystery of EXACTLY what the hell happend it just plain wrong, those people probly are mental and should be locked a way for all time! Why not remember the good thoughts, not the bad, remember the ship and crew how it was, not how it is, for example don't think of the Twin Towers burning, think of them as they were in peace...in harmony...free from worry...free from fear...

This is what we should remember, not pain and sorrow but happiness...:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.