666 ---> Not Really The Number of the Devil?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Aug 2, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I heard on the radio a couple weeks ago that some biblical archaeologists found the original copy of revelations and realized that the number of the devil is really 616, not 666.

Just a random post. ;)

Source I just found

See my attachment.

Attached Files:

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

interesting find, i hadn't heard that. It's probably one of those things that won't change people's minds however. It's been drilled into their heads 666 and so they will continue with that belief. I personally could care less anyway but you know ;)

I wonder if the Church of Satan is going to issue a response soon :p

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    So, this entire time I've been calling Michigan I've really been calling into the depths of hell?!?!?!?!

4. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'd heard of this before and found it interesting. I'm not sure if I remember all this correctly, but I think you might find this interesting:

The most credible theory as to what the number of the beast is that it is a numerical representation of the name Nero Caesar. If you add up the values of the letters used to spell the Hebrew version of Nero Caesar, you get 666. But it doesn't really make sense that John would have been thinking in Hebrew considering Revelations was written in Greek. Supposedly, 616 makes more sense since it is the numerical equivalent of Nero Caesar in Greek instead of Hebrew.

I'm pretty sure this is right, but don't take my word for it. I tried to look it up online, but I'm at work and I don't really have the time to properly research...

5. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I thought it was in hebrew and translated to greek...

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Well, there is a Hell, Michigan. ;)

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Too bad Hell is in area code 734...616 is over by Grand Rapids.

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

You mean the Book of Revelation? No, it was written in Greek. All of the New Testament was written in Greek, all of the Protestant/Jewish Old Testament was written in Hebrew, and parts of the Catholic Old Testament were written in Aramaic.

9. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

There's also a Hell, Norway. It's right next to the Trondheim airport.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

To me, it doesn't matter what the facts are. All of Michigan is Hell/616. :p

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

the aniti christ, no matter what number, is most likely to be a world famous political leader and not likely to be ralph reed, dick morriss, senator clinton, nancy pelosi, or reverend phelps, though some find these people evil and deceiving due to their right or left wing extremist views in the most powerful nation on earth

it's very likely a president of a major nation with military and economic influence and it could be a pope or leader of the united nations

right now, if i had to pick the best candidate for an anti christ, it would be george bush...attacked iraq on false pretenses (we know iraq is an oil rich nation), attacked afganistan which has a lucrative heroin trade, and may have his eye on iran, and perhaps lebanon and israel

on top of the political moves of the president, he uses religion as a major issue in his campaigns which would be a perfect cover for any up and coming anti christ

years ago, one could have made a case for gorbachev, john paul II, or ronald wilson reagan (who obviously has six letters in each of his names), but his middle name has also been stated as "willson" which would make that seven letters

but i can't think of anybody who is more perfect, right now, as the anti christ than george w bush, who has not only been called by us liberals, but by many in the global community, as lawless

the anti christ will be the "lawless" one

just my 2 cents...and i am a christian

12. medea macrumors 68030

medea

anyone name their kid nero caesar? that's an awesome name.

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Wow, way to tell us stuff we already know and send this post to the Political forum to boot. Good job. :rolleyes:

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Has George W Bush fallen in respect so much that mentioning him automatically Godwin's a thread.

/And I like the guy

15. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Actually 616 is found in some Latin codices which seems to lend credibility to the claim that the 666 number was a reference to the "revived Nero" myth popular in the 1st century. The numerical value of the words "revived Nero" (EDIT: meant "Nero Caesar") in Greek is 666 and in Latin is 616.

(Numerical Values are determined by the place of the character in the alphabet, an example in English would be A=1, B=2, etc... Keep in mind that during the times these were written there were not separate numerical characters, they simply used letters in that way. This isn't some mystical Bible code mess you see on the discovery channel.)

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

sorry ;)

well, now i have enough posts to go to that forum of ideas

17. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh I c... I wasn't talking about the New testament. From what I thought I thought that Revelation was incorporated in to the new testament. It was writting in Hebrew, and later incorporated into the new testament.

But I dont remember much about it now. So I stand corrected unless someone else has more facts.

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My youngest daughter was born 6/16. (June 16).

I was born 6/66 (June 1966).

Either way, the beast's in the house, yo.

19. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    War and Peace had a wonderful section about the number of the beast and Napoleon and Peter Bezukov.

If you torture the data enough, it will confess.

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For example, this is thread number 221238.

2+2+1+2+3+8 = 6+6+6 .

Spooky. ;)

21. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I don't think dubya is the anti-christ. Eat some pringles and watch southpark or something instead of thinking about stuff like this.

22. Miguey macrumors 6502

O.O that is spooky as hell...

23. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Very pretty train ride past it (I wish the train had stopped, it looks like there are some pretty areas near there)

Attached Files:

24. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I have my picture taken right in front of that station. :)

There's also a sign there that says "Gods Expedition" which is where you used to pick up your packages in the old Danish spelling. :D

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I thought 666 was invented by Hollywood in the early 20th century.