667 TiBook memory bandwidth

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Nonz, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Nonz macrumors newbie

I remember a few months back a discussion about the 667 Tibook's performance while running Logic Audio. The poster said the 500 TiBook ran more effects, tracks, etc. than the 667. Another poster said it was due to the memory bandwidth problems the first 667s had. Was this fixed when the combos later came out? I'm about to buy one and really need to know.

And yes I probably wait until WWDC.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: 667 TiBook memory bandwidth

Nope, it was not fixed when the combos came out. As far as I know, the combo drive PowerBooks are exactly the same as the ones they replaced (... except for the combo drives). Waiting for the new Powerbooks is a smart move - as an owner of the 550 combo, I can tell you that the current models are not worth their cost.

Alex

3. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

yo alex_ant, I have been waiting for months, saving my scratch for a powerbook. What is it about the current models that makes them not worth the cost?

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

buffsldr, they are too slow, in my opinion anyway. $2300 for a machine that, with a 550MHz CPU and a gig of RAM, scrolls web pages like a 133MHz Pentium. Playing a simple MP3 in iTunes cuts down the system's speed by at least 20%, but of course you won't want to play any MP3s, or do anything that taxes the CPU at all, because you'll be afraid of that damned hairdryer-from-hell fan coming on. I don't think purchasing a new PowerBook right now would be wise, considering that the rev As are much less expensive and not all that much slower, and of course the fact that the new revisions are apparently coming soon.

Alex

5. macaddict123k macrumors member