667 tibook vs 600 ibook...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by krossfyter, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

That's surprising. I thought there'd be a bigger difference. I guess none of the tasks are all that processor intensive, that's where the G4 PowerBook will shine over the G3 iBook.

2. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im with you there. it seems like it was a basic general test. both puters have an l2 cache right? but both dont have the same speed bus im sure...this is the big difference as well as the obvious g4 g3 difference.

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hey, like some of you rich or middle class kids living at home...buy both...really

when you get out on your own, you will see how hard that is to do and i miss those days when i was a kid and lived at home and got to play with the new toys (apple II+ and IIe) that my dad brought home...i didn't even have to ponder the price for a second

...which leads me to the conclusion, for the vast majority of us in the working world, the ibook 600 is enough for us:p

4. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

See the G3 still has a little life to it...it is just in need of a much needed speed boost of 300 to 400 MHz which is possible.

I think you would notice a little more difference running the two systems on OSX since the OS is designed to take advantage of the velocity engine in the G4.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the only major difference from the G3 to the G4 is the velocity engine or alti-vec? Also doesn't the G3 actually have fewer pipeline stages then the G4...or am I wrong? I don't know about that stuff, only heard a shorter pipeline in a processor can be an advantage.

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Oh yeah...I'd still love to see an iBook with an IBM 750cx running at 1GHz up against the Moto 667Mhz G4 even in OSX.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

my TiBook is completely sufficient for everything I do....I do admit I'd like more RAM....but I have other things I need take care of beforehand.....plus I just purchased a camera....

nice point though jefhatfield...when I was prepared to order my TiBook.....I sold off my old system.....sold most of a rare record collection on ebay.....and used my income tax return to pay in full....and I did it all with knowledge I'd be having this thing for the next few years easy.....so no worries! :p

7. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Re: 667 tibook vs 600 ibook...

I really enjoyed the comparisons. I found it very relevant to my current purchasing questions about the differences. Thanks for posting it. Why would someone flame you for it? The article clearly says the comparisons are for basic tasks (with few exceptions, eg. the pshop test).

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

how about crystallising somthing in photoshop and see how the ibook goes then

9. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Re: 667 tibook vs 600 ibook...

people usually flame around here for the oddest reasons so i never know who is going to get mad (being that im trying all the time to be nice to people)...i got a mis directed flame once.

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Price

Lets take a peek of what you get for the price:

iBook: 14in Screen, 600MHz Processor G3, Combo Drive, 20GB Hard Drive (or is it 30?)
    Errrmmmm...extras.

Powerbook: (From Apple Special Savings Store)
    15in Screen, 550MHz G4, DVD Drive only, 20GB, 100MHz Bus

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Sorry

Meant to be added to my last post

iBook's Price: 1699
    PowerBooks Price: 1799

I honestly think the iBook is a way better buy unless you are a serious hard-core graphic designer type person. People say they are, but most don't really need the power.

12. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Sorry

true. it is relative to your needs and your dont needs for the most part.

i sure as hell needed the power and portability. so i got the 667. i had an ibook already and i was through with it. the only thing i miss was the durability of the ibook as oppose to the ti....but thats a small price to pay. just got to be more careful. i have never regreted my tibook purchase since.

to jefhatfield... i used my job income and i sold off my guitar amp (that i didnt need anymore, and my ibook sale to get a tibook). i worked hard trying to get this thing.

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

all these tests and stuff are in seconds. i guess thats alright for the average user, but does anyone know where to find any stuff about testing things like render time in hours?

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Flame to Krossfyter

Krossfyter, just so you don't feel like you were cheated, here's a flame for you.

You're bad, how dare you do that. Flame, flame, flame!!!

Ok, now that that is done, thanks for the post. I'm in the market for a laptop, and I was debating between the ti and the i books. I would echo the request for some benchmark testing between the two notebooks that are a little more "scientific," however, in the mean time, thanks again.

15. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Re: Flame to Krossfyter

Yo Mcrain.... I am also in the market for a laptop and have the same type questions. But I have read a lot about the comparisons on this site and others and this is about the best I have found. Bottom line is this, if you are going to use your comp as a consumer, the 600 is plenty snappy in both 10 and 9, but if you intend on getting lots of apps open and doing some pro work, you may be disappointed in the ibook.

I know this and I am a consumer, but what concerns me is that the ibook may be fine today, but for how long?

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am glad that some of you on this board had to make some sacrifices and work for your tibook...that way you will appreciate it more

the g4s and p4s at the school i am at are abused because the students have no idea how much they cost and they figure it belongs to the school, so what the heck?

the computers are so abuased that the school has to purchase them which leaves them in debt for years so the next time they will be ready to buy new machines, there will be g7s and pentium 7s and the last two years of students will be using super antiquated gear

computer science students are already taught the wrong stuff in the first place and making them use old gear and old operating systems does not help their cause...i am a silicon valley tech and network engineer and after three years, i am yet to meet any techie with a computer science bachelor's degree

i have, however, met a few techies with an associate's degree because a lot of the "trade" related colleges are far more concerned with teaching what's in the real IT world and always like to use the latest current gear...their high tuitions could get the best teachers and gear and that is a plus (not using old gear and having professors with phd's who have never once had a real IT job outside of teaching pure computer theory)

17. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Not only is the treatment ppor at best, most students think the computers are their own personal machines, thus installing all sorts of junk every week. seriously, they'd fill up 80 GB drives in 2 weeks easily with their progs, but mostly with the .mp3s, videos and other crap they were so kindly sharing. One guy even asked if he could setup a counterstrike server. we finally got so sick of it, that we completely locked out any install features.

18. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ok well i thought this thread needed a voice of reason because you guys dont seem to be reading closely enough. that test was done in mac os 9!!!

if you take a look at the same test in mac os 10 which is linked to on that page you will see the ibook is having some major problems keeping up.

just more evidence that osx changed the scene and the g3 is not up to the task.

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in that way, they do treat the machines like their own...in the unix class, which i guess must be so boring, the back row has the hard drives full of rated x avi and mpegs and they store them on the school's server...one would think that the admins would toss them off the hard drive, but mysteriously, these admins (all men) seem to keep the x-rated stuff around

those "movies" take up a lot of hard drive space and make our dual t1 look like a 56k dialup:p

i still don't know if i want to teach there or take on a tech related job and help these poor, abused machines at the college...when i can and when no one is looking, i do fix some stuff since the cisco class forgets to "put everything back the way it was"...it must be that they missed third grade and i bet these same wanna be techies never put the toilet seat up...i call for diapers for the cisco students and an id card signifying one's 18th birthday for the unix class:D

20. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Main Topic: Most of the tasks listed in that test wouldn't really be impacted much by the G4's Velocity Engine. For launching apps and opening files, accessing the hard drive takes the vast majority of the total time, and the PB has basically the same HD as the iBook. Aqua is Altivec-aware, and having a G4 makes a marked difference in responsiveness of the GUI in general.

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

dare i say rendering?

whether an iMovie or 3D, the difference would be much more pronounced

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

PC SIDE similar issue

a pentium 3 laptop around 1.2 ghz and a pentium 4 laptop around 1.6/1.7 ghz do many tasks about the same speed...it is only when rendering graphics where the difference comes into play

the magazine, laptop or pc magazine, basically said that there is no reason to go for the p4 unless one wants to render big graphics files...and the point of the article and this thread (this is where this relates) is, "how many laptop people are going to do their big rendering on a laptop?"...though i could see the mac side laptop users doing it more than the pc side laptop users

but in the past couple of years (almost) that i have seen posters on macrumors talk rendering and graphic design, it seemed to be somewhat more related to desktop talk

but maybe one day, someday, more graphic designers will do more work from home or on the road (with clients) using a powerbook of some sort as opposed to using their desktop workstation with the giant sony crt

i have heard that the crt is still the only fully (color management) reliable way to see an image but lcd technology will eventually catch up to this need, if there is even a need for lcd's and color management

23. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

well it seems to have gone ignored so i will say it again. the same test conducted by the same people using osx instead of the os9. the powerbook blows the ibook away. ibook is left in the dust spinning its wheels at nearly all the tasks.

o and gelfin you are basically right. in os9 none of these tasks use velocity engine. this changes drastically in osx. (o and about the same drive... not so true, the powerbook uses a 5400rpm drive while the ibook uses a 4200rpm drive, may not sound like much but it makes a HUGE difference).

taking the two tests into account i woudl have to conclude if you are only planning on using os9 and not doing any heavy photoshop or fcp work then get the ibook. if you use osx and/or do heavy photoshop and fcp work then get the powerbook because the ibook sucks at these things.

just more proof that in a osx world the g3 just doesnt cut it.

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

some posters even say don't get os x unless you have a g4 processor!

i don't know about that, but i have heard of people with half a gig of ram (in ibook) who don't like it running os x