$68 Corsair ValueSelect 1GB PC2-5300 SO-DIMM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by unsolvedmistere, Mar 2, 2007.

1. unsolvedmistere macrumors member

I just came across an ad for the Corsair ValueSelect 1GB PC2-5300 SO-DIMM at $68 shipped. Anyone ever use/hear of this brand in regard to its quality/reliability? I am planning to stick it in my C2D Macbook Pro and just wanted some suggestions before I do.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I don't like Value Select. Lightweight PC boards, so-so build quality. Not guaranteed compatible in Macs by Corsair. (We are a Corsair dealer, BTW. Good PC overclocker's RAM but marginal in their generic line)

3. stangri macrumors newbie

new Mac Memory from Corsair

CanadaRAM -- would you advise me to get a kit (2x1Gb) of the new Mac Memory from Corsair (VSA2GSDSKIT667D2) or 2x 1Gb Kingston (KVR667D2S5/1G).

Thanks!

4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I have this brand in my MBP Pro right now. I haven't had any problems. I bought it at Best Buy for $99 a couple months back.

5. unsolvedmistere thread starter macrumors member

You sure its installed and actively used? lol

6. stangri macrumors newbie

Well, tell you what... I've bought two sticks of Corsair ValueRam last May for my brand new (then) MB. Out of two sticks one was DoA -- didn't work (as in prevented from booting up) in either MB or my friend's CD Dell. Had it returned and replaced (free of charge of course, thanks to ZipZoomFly).

I've got one more 1Gb stick to put alongside Nunya 1Gb in my MBP (still CD, not C2D), and I'm experiencing very seldom but nonetheless annoying reboots now and then.

7. unsolvedmistere thread starter macrumors member

That sounds more like what I was expecting to hear... Thanks for your input. Couple more like these and I'll be turned away. Things like this aren't unheard of in even the original ram supplied by Apple.

8. stangri macrumors newbie

still curious tho -- anyone has used the new Mac Memory kits from Corsair?

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Lots of people (including myself) have had good luck with G.Skill.. and that's only $70 from newegg right now. Lifetime warranty, as well.

10. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Yes. I picked up the (VSA2GSDSKIT667D2) matched pair of two 1GB modules a couple of weeks ago from Newegg. They're working perfectly in my MacBook C2D, they have a lifetime warranty, and the price was right.

FWIW, I've used Corsair memory in several other systems (both PC and Mac) in the past and I have never had a single problem with their RAM.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I haven't seen the VSA2GSDSKIT667D2 Mac memory from Corsair yet (in typical Corsair fashion they haven't updated their website with the info...)

Personally I wouldn't go with the Kingston ValueRAM KVR- series for a MacBook. Kingston's Apple compatibility guaranteed part number is KTA-MB667/1G . Others will disagree with me, saying that there is a good chance that generic RAM will work in the Mac.