Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6G iPod Interface: Real or Fake?

• Real

Votes: 80 32.5%
  • Fake

Votes: 166 67.5%

• Total voters

cmoney

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2002
I just want a wifiPod. An iPod that you can email from. With a touchscreen. And I want it to be cheaper than the iPhone by a couple hundred dollars.

I love my nano, but come on. Wouldn't that be easy to make at this point? Just take the dang phone stuff out and cram a few more gigs of memory in-- or maybe more batteries. Either way, I'd buy it. I'd wait in line for it.

Have they trademarked "wifiPod" yet? If not, they should.

Never gonna happen. The iPod will remain a media player device and the iPhone will be the communications device.

Camui

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
Texas
Hmm, I highly doubt something like this would be leaked...
Aas of this moment in time, it really seems fake.

cmoney

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2002
Bull. The click-wheel allows a continuous smooth motion when scrolling. The "flicking" is a throwback to any other MP3-player interface where you have to do repetitive abrupt motions.

Flicking on an iPhone isn't the same as other MP3 players because the iPhone also has the random access alphabet selector down the right side. Random access will always be faster than a sequential access click wheel.

NoRights

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
Ohio
They can't really eliminate the clickwheel. It's an icon, and people identify an iPod with the clickwheel.
"Icon" is a strong word to use when you're talking about the clickwheel. True, people recognize an iPod when they see that little wheel there, but it's evolved with the rest of the design. I can't see hanging onto it strictly for recognizability if it doesn't serve some functional purpose. I mean, we all recognize a TV with the old bunny ears but they still make TVs without them...

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Doesn't mean they couldn't pull an iPhone-like move by announcing it first and shipping it later.

The only reason why Apple did this is because it takes a few months for FCC approval and Apple didnt want them releasing it before they did.

This is obviously a fake but I really hope the new iPod comes out on the 7th because I've been waiting since may.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
I guess the new iPod's video accelerator is better than my Radeon X1900...
It's pretty clear that this was made using video compositing software.
To reiterate fake fake fake fake fake
duh. who can design a new interface on an ipod? obviously it's done using some type of mac software before being ported or converted or whatever to an ipod. it's a design process.

what rubbish comments... looks real to me. gawd a lot of negative people here.

nimbuscloud

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
That interface is nice.

I think that it's possible that they can have 2 tiers of new HDD iPods. One like what's shown...with a click wheel, and one that is touch screen. The click wheel interface can be use for for the low tier iPod and the iPod Nano, and the touch screen almost just like the iPhone's.

New iPod "click" 80GB = $299
New iPod "touch" 120GB = $399

But still, IMO, they should just go with one interface and input. Maybe after they release the iPhone in EU, then we can see a touch iPod. Maybe in November or January for MacWorld...but they need to do SOMETHING for Xmas...especially with the Nanos.

:apple:

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
it looks really real...if it isn't than it's a good fake! I really thought there would be all touch controls...mainly since the technology is clearly there.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Ok

I think profit margin is the determining factor in whether or not the next gen iPod will have a touch screen or not. How much does the touch screen cost? Is that the biggest cost of the iPhone or is it other technologies? (I really don't know) I think they've got near 50% profit margin on most of their products, unless I'm mistaken.

If they can make a new iPod at the same price points and increase their profit margins at the expense of a touch screen, then I believe they will do so. If the touch screen does not drive the cost up (i.e., smaller profits) then they will incorporate it. It seems to me a financial decision at this point and has nothing to do with cannibalizing iPhone sales or moving the iPod technology forward. Until their profits drop on the current iPod design, there is no reason changing anything radical unless their market-share is in jeopardy. Look at the mobile computer market. Has the MBP design changed significantly since the aluminum powerbooks? Eliminating 12" laptops and having the consumer line all one size was more of a financial decision than an esthetic one I believe.

Never forget Apple wants to make money - and they've done that very well. Something stock holders like too

I can agree with you, but I really think that if the next gen iPod is not fullscreen, they will not be staying ahead of the game like they need to and it will open up their market share to serious jeopardy.

pocketrockets

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2006
Why not make a touchscreen click wheel??? DUH!

At first I hoped for wifi. But after seeing this rumor, I hope just to get a 16:9 touchscreen!! I will be very very mad if Apple comes out with this old technology. I've been burning my DVD movies in preparation for something like a TRUE VIDEO IPOD over the last week.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Clear sign

If Apple does not bring to the market the full screen touch ipod it will be a clear sign that Apple is not the company that it says it is. "Our products are the best products in the world"- Mr. Steve Jobs (basically every year he works at Apple).

It would be a clear case of Apple NOT making the best product it could.

If Apple falls into the easy option of 'limiting' some products it makes in order to protect other products this shows a real flaw in their thinking and a real limit in their ability to create products.

Why not make the ipod some super product giving it some excellent features that distinguish it from the iphone and that make it desirable?

Really, such backward thinking from Apple... if it is the case!

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Haha!!!

So this new interface with coverflow and all, even if it is fake, I keep hearing coverflow making appearances, what about people like me who don't have album cover art? Am I just going to be seeing a square with a music symbol or do I get the classic interface as well?

Time to organize your music library and get all the album art lol.... It sucks at first.. I went through one by one, but once its done its amazing, much better organized, and easy to maintain! Otherwise, YES you will be looking at little music notes on a blank album image :p

cmoney

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2002
Time to organize your music library and get all the album art lol.... It sucks at first.. I went through one by one, but once its done its amazing, much better organized, and easy to maintain! Otherwise, YES you will be looking at little music notes on a blank album image :p

iTunes can automatically missing download album art for you nowadays.

jhedges3

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2003
NY, NY
Seems a little strange that Apple would not use their normal font for an iPod/iPhone user interface. The font in these videos looks to be Arial Black or some variant. The videos are well done but I'm doubting these are authentic.

The font is not arial. The tops of the t's are not cot off at an angle. The ends of the strokes on the "C" are horizontal, not at a slight angle as they are with arial. It looks more like helvetica and is, as far as I can tell consistent with that, with the exception of the "a" the tail of which could be out a bit more.

To me, everything thing seems real real with the videos. I'm not doubting them.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I know!

iTunes can automatically missing download album art for you nowadays.

I know! What I meant was I did that, but then i had to go through one by one because I have a lot that iTunes didn't find. What it didn't find i got from Amazon with those little apps, and some others I had to do myself.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
If Apple does not bring to the market the full screen touch ipod it will be a clear sign that Apple is not the company that it says it is. "Our products are the best products in the world"- Mr. Steve Jobs (basically every year he works at Apple).

It would be a clear case of Apple NOT making the best product it could.

If Apple falls into the easy option of 'limiting' some products it makes in order to protect other products this shows a real flaw in their thinking and a real limit in their ability to create products.

Why not make the ipod some super product giving it some excellent features that distinguish it from the iphone and that make it desirable?

Really, such backward thinking from Apple... if it is the case!

Would you still buy the more expensive Macbook Pro over the Macbook if the only difference was the screen size?

The iPhone is clearly a premium device, it has heaps of features because it helps it do what it does best, managing your day and for listening (and seeing) your music. Apple would need to create a whole new line of (niched) iPods.

If you carried both your iPod and your mobile phone with you everywhere, which one would you use more? Now combine the two and compare it with just using an iPod. So if the 6G iPod had a multi-function touchscreen how often would you be using it? Probably even less than the 5G iPod.

So, basically you're asking Apple to make a iPhone, without the wireless capability.

Given that, I think that people would buy into a fully functional say, iPod Pro (think PDA) with wireless b/g. But this wouldn't get Apple any ongoing revenue from phone companies.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I had to remove the video/images, per request from Apple.

arn

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
I had to remove the video/images, per request.

arn
oh, i never even saw the video/images, that's because i just woke up , i live in europe...

buy i saw the text and then a minute later it dissapeared, why? :(

alexm13

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
San Francisco, CA
If those are fakes, I'm impressed.

I hope this rumor is false. I want Safari, WiFi, and a touchscreen on the next iPod. Yes, I am one of those in favor of an iPhone - phone = 6G iPod.

Yeah right, if the new iPod was to have all that then what was the point of making an iPhone. Plus an iPod is for music, how often would you really watch videos on it anyway? But don't get get me wrong I would love a 16x9 iPod with a hundred gig hd and coverflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.