Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
In case you were wondering... Even in low light...

I took two pics of some indoor lighting and did some pixel peeping...

Both show 1/20 shutter speed and ISO 200.

And both actually looked fairly bad compared to the GS6/GS6 Edge + I had for a while.

I guess we're talking taking pics in low light bars and restaurants, the OIS is pretty worthless in most situations. I also don't really take enough video to care about video OIS.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
My understanding is that OIS compensates for shakiness, so even if they both shoot at the same settings the lens without it would be more susceptible to the effects produced by shaky hands, resulting in blurriness from movement of the lens within the duration of time the shutter was open.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
My understanding is that OIS compensates for shakiness, so even if they both shoot at the same settings the lens without it would be more susceptible to the effects produced by shaky hands, resulting in blurriness from movement of the lens within the duration of time the shutter was open.

I could see it helping people who can't hold a phone still, good point.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I could see it helping people who can't hold a phone still, good point.

Yeah... not always a big issue with photos but anyone who has shot DSLR video without a stabilizer knows that even if you try very hard it still shakes. OIS helps but most phones have software stabilization as well so it isn't a humongous omission.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.