Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I got splashed by a wave yesterday and some of the salt water must have found its way into the headphone jack because since then my phone has been stuck in headphone mode.

I've tried compressed air but it didn't work.

I do have O2 insurance on it (I got it free with the phone) but they want me to send my phone off and it will take a week to get back.

I can't be without my phone for a week so will head to an Apple Store and pay for an out of warranty repair, but is there anything else worth trying before doing that? Apart from the headphone issue, the phone is working perfectly

DDanis60

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2015
This happened to mine the other day too after a small drop onto my dirt driveway. Weirdly, Ive never used the headphone jack on my last two iPhones. It was an easy fix though as I simply plugged a pair of headphones into the jack a few times. It was way too easy of a fix, but its worth a shot if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Reactions: Phil A.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks - I'll give that a try!
Try a hard reset if you haven't. Might be able to kick it out. I had a similar problem with my iPod Touch years and years ago. I had to restore it as new then restore to my backup and it worked. For whatever reason software corrupted the headphone jack sensor.

tvbi

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
This happened to my 6 plus last year and sucking the headphone jack 3-4 times with your mouth worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.