7.08MB Speed - Only Getting 1.50MB? - HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HelixOmnimedia, Oct 28, 2006.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Hello

Below is a print screen from inside the BT HomeHub web interface...
    [​IMG]

It says that Downstream is 7,008kbps - is that 7.08MB?

Either way Websites are talking forever to load. BT Suggested 2wire.com to test the speed and i did but it shows: 1.50MB

I'm using a PowerBook G4 with BT HomeHub connected via Ethernet - Hub is connected to main telephone socket.

Why is my PB and my WinXP laptop only getting speeds of 1.50MB?

THANKS for any help

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Try the speed test at adslguide.co.uk.

The problem with broadband connections is that they're not exclusive - everyone on your street is essentially using the same pipe. So, if your broadband connection is 8MB (megabits, not bytes by the way), that's the maximum speed it'll go at. If lots of other people are on at the same time, and depending how far you are from the exchange, the actual speed may be a lot lower.

For example, I'm on a 24MB connection, but I rarely get anything over 10MB.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Bits versus bytes... 7,008Kb (bits) is unfortunately not even close to 7.008MB (bytes) but is more like 0.9MB (I think, check on this conversion calculator).

Also, browser-based tests for internet connections mean nothing if you have a fast connection. They merely test your computer's Java capabilities rather than the actual speed. It's better to download a file from a close and fast server (your ISP for example) to determine actual maximum speed. :)

4. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

DONE: Here are the results:

Speed Test Results
    Downstream 4,705.3 Kbps ( = 4.6 Mbps )
    Upstream 369.6 Kbps ( = 0.4 Mbps )

But the net is still slow - I've just downloaded a movie script 44kb .pfd file and it took 20minutes? That can't be right, can it?

:p No one on my street has a computer other than me and in the surrounding neighborhood three street either way no one is connected to the internet - Very Weird :eek: - that's why I come on here for help. An I'm not that far, maybe 1/2 mile from the exchange.

But I can see how if a lot of "other" people are on then it can slow down.

5. Gee macrumors 65816

When you're downloading stuff, it also depends on the speed of the connection at the other end - the computer you're downloading from. Maybe your movie script site has a slow connection.

But 20 mins for a 44kb is terrible! Did you try restarting the router and your computer?

Another thought - are you up to date with all of the system updates? 10.4.8 and all that?

6. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Everything is up to date, 10.4.8, just waiting for the FireFox 2.0 update for the web browser.

Heading to PC World tomorrow - need to exchange a Belkin Range Extender - I picked up the wrong thing, goning to buy a Belkin G+ Mimo Modem Router... hopefully that'll fix the other problem I have when I go wireless.

Low signal coming from BT HomeHub to PowerBook. 10feet away from it and it's at the lowest bar with nothing blocking the signal path.

THANKS - to EVERYONE for trying to help.