7-11

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, May 6, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

now 7 posters now have more than eleven hundred posts

quick, wake up steve jobs from his distorted reality sleep

this must mean something

2. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

I would say that (actually I think AlphaTech mentioned this earlier) 1000 will soon become not much of a big deal.

So I want to rush to 1000 as quickly as possible before it becomes a minor objective.

I don't think that I will ever become the leader among the forums for a long while. But I will keep at this for as long as it takes.

And I would agree that an avatar would look cool.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

true while we might be over 1000, none of us are going to catch up with eyelikeart unless he goes offline for a few months. Then we might be able to get close to his count. Then again, being over 1400 posts, I am the closest. Problem is, finding things to post on, or comment on. Not always an easy task.

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Click....

There went Eyes internet connection ;)

I felt good last week when I broke 200! I can't wait for the 1000 though. At my current rate I should have it in about a year.

6. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Am I the only one who doesn't care about post count? It would be cool to have an avatar and all, but I can wait.

-Pete

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Of course you don't care...you ONLY have 316 posts. :rolleyes:

jk :D ;)

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he he...I've got more than one way onto the internet... ;)

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think when I started posting more a several months ago, there might have only been one or two 1000 post members. I think its a great indication on how good a site we have here.

I look forward someday to 2000, but you know what, it will mean absolutely nothing. I'm just having fun.

10. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I stopped even looking at my post count the second I got to 500.

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

if theres much more talk about TiBooks or future TiBook releases, my post count will really go bezerk!:D

12. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

500 hundred was an accomplishment but now If I get to 1000 It don't matter
    But it would be really nice

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm just now realizing this...

jef...exactly how long did it take for u to realize the 7-11 thing anyway?!

I thought u were a busy guy?

he he he... ;)

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have found that certain topics will really get me going. I've had some days that I've had over 40 posts, but not too many. I don't think I'll be able to keep a heavy pace up for too much longer, I've got too many things I need to do and it does take a significant bit of time to post regularly.

Besides with summer coming on, I'll be outside more often. And I'm in training too, so that should have an effect.

For all the other big posters, how do you find time to post as many as you do?

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I hear that on summer....I've been trying to spend as much time outside as possible myself...

and for keeping posts going...for now anyway...I'm in front of a computer all day long...with dsl connection at that...so it's quite easy to sneak away from work for a few mins at a time and throw a few up... ;)

16. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

When I'm at work I'm constantly doing research on new products, so naturally MacRumors is one of my regular stops. So I put up quite a few there. Then I come home and to relax I look around some more. ;)

I'll be going on a two week camping trip in late June early July, so you can expect to not see me at all then...

17. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I passed 300 sometime two days ago. I am going to hit 400 by oh maybe 2 weeks from now if I have a good week.

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Typically, I check the site for new threads, and one's that I posted on the night before while at work. When I am not on the floor assisting users with computers that have gone all wonky.

When I get home, I fire up the TiBook and go online as well. Check and see what else has been posted before dinner, and then posting after. Typically, on the weekends, I get up, make coffee, and read and post while I have my required mug or three. Then, if the weather permits, I go out on the Harley to feel the power between my legs. :D

It's amazing how many compliments, and wide eyes I get when on the Harley. :D I need to figure out how to carry a spare helmet with me, so that I can take passengers with me at the drop of a hat.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

If you have a passenger backrest, you can put a spare helmet on there and then run a tie down around the helmet. If you don't like full face helmets, you can always carry a small skull helmet in a backpack or one of your saddlebags.

There are other options, but I'm married, and would get in trouble if I let too many young hotties ride on my baby. (1 is too many btw)

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I don't have a sissy bar on my Harley :D... I have seen items that clamp to the frame and allow you to secure a helmet to them. Maybe I will just get a skull-cap and toss it into one of the saddle bags... The 3/4 helmet that I have really won't fit into the saddle bag, nor will my 1/2 helmet. I tried forcing the 1/2 helmet into the bag, but it just wouldn't go in. The 3/4 is nice for riding without the windshield in place, so that I have enough protection from the wind to keep my contact lenses in place. With the windshield on the motorcycle, the 1/2 helmet works fine.

Send some of those hotties my way, I would be more then happy to give them a ride, or several. :D

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What I don't understand is that if my car made as much noise as a Harley I'd get pulled over. Why isn't there a noise standard for the bikes, because, in all honesty they are way too loud, especially in large groups.

We have a couple bars here in Old Town that have 20 or more Harley riders parking on the main street (King Street). At night its a much more pedestrian thoroughfare, but when the bikes leave, you can't even hold a conversation in the street.

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The really loud ones are using open pipes (also referred to as drag pipes) which don't have any baffles in them. I don't have that, the after market pipes I had installed onto the new Harley do have baffles in them (believe the max db rating on the pipes are 106, which is the legal limit). Some states have db ratings that they enforce, but most often they don't bother. The federal limit is 106db, and you CAN get pulled over if you are excessively loud. I remember hearing custom bikes going down one of the main streets in Savannah, GA while at college, and they had the open pipes installed. Even for me, those are way too loud.

So to answer about the noise standard, there is one, but it is up to the local athorities to enforce it (as with most laws on the books).

I did have someone yell out of their window at me as I was rolling down the highway a couple of weekends ago. With the wind and all, I couldn't make out what the guy was saying, but he didn't look too happy. :D He was almost tailgating me for more then a few miles, and I gave him several chances to go around me (it was a 4 lane highway, per side). He chose to stay behind me. I didn't drop a gear, and was traveling in 5th (at between 60-75mph) all the way. The main reason I have the louder pipes (besides the fact that they look way cool on the bike) is to keep people off my a$$ on the road. It's also for people to hear me coming, and not pull out right before me (can you say hospital run??). There is a point where the noise level is beyond safety and reaches that annoyance factor, but I am not there. At least I don't think I am. :D

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

On a lark, I went a did a little research on noise limits and found this little site which has some stuff worth looking at. It says the safe limit of exposure of 105 dB is 1 hour. Well, if you're out cruising with a group of Harleys thats going to be even louder. If you're riding alone, with your helmet on, it obviously won't be that loud, but have you ever come back from a long ride and your ears were ringing?

http://www.freehearingtest.com/noiselimits.shtml

24. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i thought motorcyles were loud until my muffler broke on my datsun 610 in 1988...it was so loud i got pulled over every time so i got it fixed asap

i am sure it was way over 106 decibels:D

25. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The other thing you have to remember is that the newer bikes are civilian sounding in comparison to the older bikes. I have a bored out shovelhead that has sound-deadening pipes on it, and it's as loud as most custom evos. The newer bikes just are far more refined and quiet.

I'd probably break every noise restriction law out there if I put on straight pipes.

Oh, one other thing... when your riding, you really aren't too affected by the noise of your bike (something about dopplar effect ;) ), and in a group, as long as you stagger and keep a little distance to the bike in front/left of you, its not too bad.