7/7 a year on

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by codo, Jul 7, 2006.

1. codo macrumors 6502

From BBC News
    Thoughts are obviously with the families on this poignant day.

On the flip side however - How do Londoners feel now? Do you feel any safer on the Tube? Do you feel the security is adequate?

I used the Tube only this morning, and whilst nervous particularly because of the nature of today, I'm adamant these cowards that create such atrocities won’t disrupt my life in this beautiful capital city.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I loathe the attribution of 7/7 as if to put it on the scale of 9/11 and conveniently ignores all the other atrocities in Bali, Madrid, Istanbul, Tangiers and elsewhere... it's just lazy journalistic shorthand.

Saying that, I work in Kings Cross and have never seen so many police on and about the tube today. Whatever... I have to go to work so being intimidated by a bunch of feckwits with a chip on their shoulders is not going to really affect me.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Ironically I normally never use the Tube during rush hour, but on 6/7 I'd caught a fly in my eye whilst riding the motorbike with my visor up, so for the first time in years I was on the Circle Line that morning. Whilst waiting on the train near Farringdon for 30 minutes I remember it momentarily crossed my mind that there might have been a bomb, but the driver announced that there had been a power failure in the Liverpool St. area, and it was only when we got above ground and the mobile phones weren't working that it became clear what was going on. At the time I was doing some work at The Royal Mint, just down Minories from Aldgate, so all the roads were closed and there were helicopters overhead all day.

I'm still incredibly angry at Tony Bliar for it happening, not only because it was the illegal invasion of Iraq that tipped the bombers into acting, but because the security forces were so busy protecting Bliar's arse up in Scotland they left a city of 8.5 million people exposed. But has it changed Londoners? If anything it's brought us closer together.

I'd like to say RIP to the victims, but until Bliar is brought to account for his actions I suspect they won't. It cannot be allowed to happen again, and for that we need our troops home and our discredited leader treated like the disgrace he is.

4. codo thread starter macrumors 6502

It’s a date - It doesn’t infer anything. You are adding the connotations.

Today is the day to remember what happened a year ago today, not other atrocious events - They have their day. It should be remembered, not only to remember the dead, but to keep pressure upon the Government to keep safety standards as high as possible.

As a tube worker, you will know that 3 million people a day use the network, and we need to feel safe.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, you're wrong. When it's used in 48pt screaming headlines, it becomes more than a date. It's symbolic use is more than that.

6. codo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but it’s in no way undermining other tragic events. That was my point. You were adding connotations that the use of it simply meant that it was some how more important.

I have some very strange memories of a year ago. I was working as a runner at television centre within BBC News as part of my work placement, and it was certainly a day I won’t forget any time soon.

7. dcv macrumors G3

I suspect most Londoners forgot this date and only remembered when they picked up their copy of the Metro this morning :rolleyes:. I was lucky enough to be working from home on July 7th last year and not on my regular tube line which passes through most of the affected stations. I remember watching the news reports flooding in on BBC News 24 - initially there was some confusion as they first reported that it was a problem with the power supply or something but it soon came to light that there had been a number of individual explosions. The pictures were shocking and I was so worried about family and friends in the City & central London... thankfully everyone was safe though and only affected in the sense that they had a nightmare getting home that day.

Do we feel safer? Not really... well no different really. How do you 'secure' the London Underground? How do you secure a city? But is anybody worried anymore? There's obviously panic and heightened security for several weeks following any such terror attack, but after that people just return to normal: heads buried in papers, completely oblivious to their surroundings. There's certainly a *noticeable* increase in security in London today. I spotted a group of 8 police officers standing chatting inside the ticket office at Liverpool Street tube station this morning :rolleyes: though at least their colleagues in the mainline section of the station were on patrol in pairs or watching over the balcony from the upper level. "Comforting" to see the police presence on this day - I use inverted commas as really it's just for show. By Monday they'll be gone and the events of July 7th will be forgotten about for another year.

I'm not nervous about using the tube. I have to use it. Life goes on.

8. toontra macrumors 6502

I don't think so. 7/7 will be the byword for years to come for Governments wishing to introduce legislation to restrict terrorism (some may say restrict civil liberties). Get used to it.

What disturbs me is the Government's refusal to allow a Public Enquiry into that fateful day. Could it be that any such enquiry would bring up issues they would rather weren't discussed? Much better to reduce the whole thing to an acronym at which we simply shudder with revulsion.

9. Queso macrumors G4

The public enquiry will conclude that the bombers only did what they did because Bliar took our troops into Iraq, and that London wasn't as protected as it could have been because the attention of the security services was on protecting Bliar and Dubya's backsides at Gleneagles.

We know all this already, Bliar just doesn't want an official report backing it up. We should add the Madrid, Bali and London victims to the death count for the Iraq war. It's the only reason those people died.

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

There is no justification for acts of violence against innocent civilians.

Unfortunately, I feel that some responsibility for these senseless acts
    falls on our leadership.

It's bad enough that our involvement in Iraq was based on lies and deception.

There is however no excuse for the way we mishandled post invasion planning allowing no bid contracts and cronyism to alienate the citizens
    of Iraq even further.

It was our responsibility to rise above greed and give these people hope
    and respect by putting them to work to rebuild their country.
    It was our responsibility to understand their culture and the abuse
    they had already suffered acting with the highest standards of ethics
    and decency.

Now with more than 50,000 civilian casualties, we have created a whole
    new generation of potential terrorists.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    My mother asked me to visit her last year, ostensibly because she worked near Gleneagles so would be off work because of G8. When I arrived, she told me that she was worried something would happ in London since there was so much of a security focus in London. I rolled my eyes and told her she was paranoid... :rolleyes: So I was safely in Scotland on July 7.

It did cross my mind this morning... but not sufficiently to make me reconsider getting on the District Line this morning. The 8 police officers at Victoria's main entrance to the Underground were also standing in a circle chatting - perhaps it's some new tactic!

I found the 2 minute silence quite moving - even in the office - since I think there's a sense that while it's unlikely, there is a chance that it could have happened on any London Tube/Bus/Train and any one of us might have been one of the faces staring out of the paper which makes it seem far more immediate.