7+ earthquake in Japan

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    news link
    I've heard estimates from 6.8 to 7.2. I'm glad the injury count wasn't higher, and hope none of our MacRumors friends were in harm's way.

Did those of you in Tokyo or elsewhere on Honshu feel it?

The Shinkansen (bullet trains) aren't often late, but they have stopped because of the quake.
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I also hope that my MacRumors friends in Japan are alright. Thank you Doctor Q for the information. The lower damage and injuries are a direct result of Japan's strict building code. My prayers go out to the victims. :(
  3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2002
    Yokosuka, Japan
    My girlfriend is in Kyoto...thank God for a few hundred miles between her and the quake and Japanese buildings...I just hope the airport is open again so she can come home on time.
  4. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Moving to CA from the East Coast, I used to think that earthquakes were fairly exiting. We had an earthquake in New Hampshire when I was growing up - 2.5 and it scared half the state senseless. Living now in Oakland, it's quite common to feel small trembles now and again. Usually, they don't register as anything more than a gentle swaying for a few seconds or an occasional quick shudder.

However, if you ascribe to the pressure release theories of earthquakes, then Northern California is overdue for another big one. Now that this has happened in Japan, I can't help but wonder what the Pacific plate is doing on this side of the ocean. Having been on the West Coast for 6 years, I've adopted the more native resident perspective on earthquakes: less fun, more inevitable.

Glad to hear that no-one was killed in Japan, but it seems like they also have a lot more experience dealing with earthquakes (and the periodic beastie escaping from Monster Island) then even the West Coast of the U.S. My partner spent some time over in Kyoto, and she would describe fairly sophisticated earthquake safety measures used by the town, public buildings, and some private citizens.

No-one spends their day thinking about the next Big One, but when it does happen all you can really hope for is that there's still at least some roof over your head, your pets are all safe, and not all your stuff is completely destroyed (probably in that order, too).

I like to think that just as many countries flock to the aid of places destroyed by natural disasters, that when the Big One comes over here in the U.S. we'll have at least some tiny remaining good will towards us in the world that we could get help if we needed it...
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    How can you tell when a 2.5 is happening? :D

Looks like there will be another round of earthquakes and volcano eruptions.
  6. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    Did the quake occur 11:46 a.m. Japan time or U.S. time? I am glad that there was not any deaths. Makes me wonder why I had a dream about an earthquake last night (Washington State, Pacific time zone).
  7. beerpara macrumors newbie

Jun 12, 2005
    Saitama, Japan
    Yep, felt it. I was working on my iMac at the time and I got up to take a stretch. I then noticed my imac started shaking slightly and I thought a truck was coming by or something. A few seconds later the shaking was quite a bit stronger. No damage here though, thankfully, although a house collapsed a few kilometers away from where I live.

We got an aftershock about 40 minutes ago too. :eek: