Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Sorry if this was posted already. Thought this was kinda cool:

rack3.jpg

Details are here:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-10-04/#5993

Oded S.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
This can still be beaten though - 8 hard drives are possible, 6 sata and 2 ata.

Losing the optical drive is a bit of a bummer though.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Losing the optical does suck. But the data throughput that thing has is pretty nice, nevermind 4.5TB of storage.

So, who is going to be the idiot to string together a bunch of 1" drives in this thing and go for the gold?

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Back in the early '90's, I bought a Tangent 486 EISA Server/Workstation which had a 32 bit EISA SCSI caching controller. It was the hottest Intel based system money could buy (over $7000 as I recall). It came with a single 160 MB Quantum SCSI drive and I soon added a 250 Seagate. A few months later I replaced the drives in several Sun Workstations. I ended up with many unneeded 207 MB Conner drives. So, I decided to max out my machine by adding 5 of them. I could not find a SCSI ribbon cable for 7 internal drives, so I was forces to make my own. I think I destroyed 3-4 of them before I finally made one that would work. Also, there were not enough power connectors available, so I had to get the wiring schematic and figure which connectors I could splice into. Eventually, the task was complete, and I fired it up ".....hard drive failure....". It turns out that none of the drives actually spin up at the same same exact time. The Conners would wake first and report in, but the Boot drive was not ready, thus the error. To make a long story short, I would have to boot, get the error, hit the reset, get the drives all spinning, then quickly turn the power off/on quickly (before the drives quit spinning). I reordered the drives, used a Conner for the boot drive, and eventually got it to only require one extra boot to get the Seagate and Quantum to show up. All of this for a little over a Gigabyte! Boy, things sure have improved!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
SMM said:
Back in the early '90's, I bought a Tangent 486 EISA Server/Workstation which had a 32 bit EISA SCSI caching controller. It was the hottest Intel based system money could buy (over $7000 as I recall). It came with a single 160 MB Quantum SCSI drive and I soon added a 250 Seagate. A few months later I replaced the drives in several Sun Workstations. I ended up with many unneeded 207 MB Conner drives. So, I decided to max out my machine by adding 5 of them. I could not find a SCSI ribbon cable for 7 internal drives, so I was forces to make my own. I think I destroyed 3-4 of them before I finally made one that would work. Also, there were not enough power connectors available, so I had to get the wiring schematic and figure which connectors I could splice into. Eventually, the task was complete, and I fired it up ".....hard drive failure....". It turns out that none of the drives actually spin up at the same same exact time. The Conners would wake first and report in, but the Boot drive was not ready, thus the error. To make a long story short, I would have to boot, get the error, hit the reset, get the drives all spinning, then quickly turn the power off/on quickly (before the drives quit spinning). I reordered the drives, used a Conner for the boot drive, and eventually got it to only require one extra boot to get the Seagate and Quantum to show up. All of this for a little over a Gigabyte! Boy, things sure have improved!

Yeah but how cool were you for having a friggin gigabyte of storage back then!! Most people probably didn't even know what a gigabyte meant!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.