700MB Photoshop files with a PowerMac G4?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Darth Geek, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Darth Geek macrumors newbie

I need to do some work with some very large graphics files in Photoshop, each just under 700 MB in size. I need the color adjustments to be very good, so I'm looking at getting a Mac. Question: Can a Power Mac G4 1.25 GHz handle 700 MB graphics files, assuming I add quite a bit of RAM, say 1 GB? Is the 1.25 GHz fast enough?

I would get a G5/1.6, but the budget is stretched and a dual-G4 would cost nearly as much as a 1.6. Will a single-G4 handle such a file, or realistically should I wait until I can afford a 1.6? What do you think?

Thank you so much!

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The Dual 1.25 will be faster than the single 1.6... and i would wait to get the Dual G4.

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

definately get a dual processor over a single and then max out the ram.

i've never worked with an image that large and really want to see what would happen if i tried it, even though i'm sure my quicksilver would go so horribly slow that i would pull all my hair out.

4. Blackstealth macrumors regular

I've got a Dual 867 G4 with 2Gb of Ram, and it has no problem handling huge files in Photoshop or InDesign. I've got Photoshop set up so it allocates itself 1.5Gb of Ram and then uses space across three HDs for scratch disks.

At times it can get a bit sluggish but only if I'm really pressing it.