Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
I am trying to install a USB Wifi Mini with a RT3370 chipset on an Emac 700 running OS 10.4 .... I have gotten it working on a Emac 1.42 running 10.5.... but on the Emac 700 it works for approximately 3 pages and then stalls out, any ideas where I should start troubleshooting it .... and to answer the most obvious questions, no I can not use an Airport card ... these were donated and I want to make them work on 20 Emac 700's for a school .... odd that it would work for a few web pages and then stop ... ???

The 1.42 is USB 2.0 ... the 700 is USB 1.0 ...dont think it should make a differernce, but thought I would mention it...

Thanks,

JO

johnold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
I thought if it were a USB 1.0 vs USB 2.0 it would have never worked in the first place..... maybe if it is related to the USB versions if I throttled it back in the software would that help ?... do I do that by decreasing packet size ?

JO

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
you can try , you even could try to ask the manufacturer first if its usb 1.1 compatible at all , the problem is not necessary the speed as some of these dongles are usb1.1 compatible

but i would just get a airport card , it just slots in above your optical drive behind the cover with the 2 screws , job done and you got wifi 802.11b that works definitely and the airport card's(not airport express) for your eMac are cheap ~£ 25 + - depending on the seller at ebay, usb dongles that are definitely compatible cost about £10 which means its not worth the hassle of trying to get one to work

having said that some(only a few) eMac's 700 /800 had problems with power on the usb ports means not enough power so no dongle will work as you got 3 of them, one is occupied by the keyboard of course , the mouse is happy on the usb port of the keyboard , so still 2 left to try, a powered usb hub could if you got one lying around help too if it is a power on usb issue

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.