700mhz G4 iMac issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by racingboy627, Jul 6, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I know, blast from the past right?

This may be a familiar story for some and hope someone can help me out....

I bought a G4 iMac lamp at a garage sale for $10. I upgraded the RAM, hard drive (80gb) and added a wireless B card.

I firewire-loaded Leopard on the new drive from a newer Intel iMac.

The Leopard disk will boot the newer iMac through firewire. However, I CANNOT get the old iMac to boot or even recognize the drive now.

It recognized it initially and I can load 10.1 and 10.3 on it.

After loading Leopard though, the Lamp acts like there is no drive. The disk utilities don't see the drive either.

Is there an ideal drive format to choose or am I missing something simple.

Thanks in advance!

2. macrumors P6

Intell

Intell Macs and PPC Macs use a different partition scheme to see which drives are bootable. When you installed Leopard from the Intell Mac via Target Disk Mode, the Leopard installer forced the drive to be partitioned for an Intell Mac. The iMac G4, being a PPC Mac, does not see this drive as a bootable drive. To install Leopard on a Mac via Target Disk Mode, both the source and target Macs must be of the same CPU type.

In the event that you don't have a source PPC Mac to install Leopard with, try using LeopardAssist. Its what I've used in the past.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26562/leopardassist

3. racingboy627, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay and thanks!

I did download the Leopard Asist but I did NOT know about the Intel Mac <-> PPC Mac issue. It sure explains the problem!

Now, a way around the lack of a DVD drive... :)

4. macrumors 68020

zen.state

Both PowerPC and Intel Macs can read and write to GUID and APM (apple partition map) but are limited to 1 for booting.

PowerPC systems need APM and Intel need GUID on the boot disk. It normally defaults to whatever type of Mac you have but you can change it by clicking options in the disk utility partition window.

5. macrumors P6

Intell

I never stated that a Mac could only read its boot disk type. Also, the Leopard installed will only install on to the proper partition type for the Mac it is currently booted on. There is no way to force it to install Leopard on a APM disk when its booted from an Intell Mac.

6. macrumors 68020

zen.state

My post wasn't directed at you whatsoever. If it was I would have quoted you.

Simply my two cents and added detail.