7200 RPM drive worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AoWolf, Aug 27, 2006.

1. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I was looking at getting a 7200 rpm drive for my new macbook. I was just wondering if its really worth it and what kind of performance increase and in what tasks I should expect.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You'll notice the biggest difference if you work with large files (most often video). Otherwise, my feeling is that the performance gain is minimal.

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Agreed.

4. AoWolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Hmm I wonder because the main application of my laptop will be world of warcraft. (Please no OMG get a MBP posts) so I would assume that would be lots of small files. Is there anyone with a 7200 rpm drive or anyone who has a link to some benchmarks?

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

A 7200rpm drive would definitely be worth it imo in a MacBook. I'd rather have a 100gb 7200rpm drive than a 120gb 5400rpm drive. The speed is definitely noticeable. 5400rpm drives are heading the way of the dodo just like 4200rpm drives went.

6. AoWolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

7. imnotatfault macrumors regular

The price difference between a 5400 and a 7200 drive nowadays is so negligible that it seems like everyone should just go 72000 so they phase the 54's out entirely.

I think we can do it! Let's begin another floppy disk-caliber revolution!

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Except that 5400 rpm drives are available in higher capacity than 7200 rpm drives...and that's the dilemma most people face. 100GB/7200rpm or 120GB/5400rpm? I always choose the larger capacity.

9. AoWolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Well its a matter of preceptive. I know personally I just want the fasted because I use a firewire drive for back ups and storage.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Absolutely...different people have different priorities. Mine happens to be capacity. Other people (such as yourself) prefer speed. Both are perfectly valid, which is why there continue to be lower speed drives on the market.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i disagree with the proposed "phase-out." there is nothing wrong with offering people an option. in the case of the 4200s, they simply became obsolete as the 5400s became similarly priced with better specs. the 54s will only be removed as an option once the 72s get up to speed (pun intendend).

for the OP: i have a 5400 and i don't notice any decrease from my last laptop, which had a 7200. that said, i also don't play games or do heavy lifting with anything movie-related. (and my last laptop was a windows machine, so the MBP was obviously a step up.)

12. somevelvet macrumors member

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not significantly so...yes, spinning faster uses more energy, but it has to spin for a shorter period of time. Any difference in battery life is essentially unnoticeable. Here is a bit of comparative data between drives...it's a little old, but still useful.

14. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I got a new 7200 recently for my iBook and it has made a world of differrence.

Just with in a week, these applications got a performance boost, remember I went from a 4200rpm drive.

Safari, iPhoto, Photoshop, Illustrator, iTunes. I use to get the spinning beach ball all the time in Safari for example and now I don't, its been great and mine is an older system as well.

15. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

I had the same dilemma and went with the 120 5400rpm hdd. I would never go back on this either... I worried so much before I got my MBP, but am so happy I went with the 5400 one. Speed is really not noticeable at all, as I had a 7200 in my older powerbook, and the 20gb is so great. It's basically all my music library!

16. mattsh macrumors member

I wasn't aware that the MacBook HAD 7200rpm drives available. I just recently ordered a macbook and had 60,80,100, and 120 but they had no speeds beside them. BTW.. I'm talking about MACBOOKS.. I know the Pros have a 7200 @ 100Megabytes.

17. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm pretty sure he was talking about getting a 7200rpm drive and putting it in himself.

18. mattsh macrumors member

Ok... BUT.. I thought doing that would
    A) Void your Apple warranty
    B) You couldn't cause on the PowerBooks Apple smooshed the drive way up in?
    (This should have read "MacBook" and NOT "PowerBook")

19. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Interestingly enough, we are talking about the MACBOOK not the POWERBOOK which has a very easily accessable HDD and RAM slots, far more so than the MBP or PB.

I have the 7200rpm, which I like very much (in a MBP). The problem I have, and I'm sure most other people here have is that there is no way to compare. It would be nifty to have a way to switch between 5400 and 7200rpm, maybe for saving battery life but mostly so I could see the difference and answer all these 7200rpm threads once and for all!

I have 12gb of music in iTunes, and it is open and ready to go before the first bounce is done. This, compared to my old dell desktop (HDD speed unknows- possibly 4200 or 5400) is blazing fast, as the dell took a good 30 seconds to get going.

I would recomend the 7200 if you want to "future proof" (quotes because it is really impossible to do so, but I always recomend the best you can buy and using it for as long as possible), but if you NEED the extra 20gb while mobile, go for a bigger 5400rpm drive. I would like to point out though, that while you can add on external HDDs for storage needs, the rpms cannot be changed without buying an entirely new HDD.

20. mattsh macrumors member

Yeah my fault... I typoed... in the MACBOOK (Not Pro) I thought there was no 7200 option.

21. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Not off the website, but you can buy a HDD and pop it in yourself.

22. mattsh macrumors member

Well cool! Guess it still voids the warranty.. but may be useful years down the road :)

23. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Hear hear but the biggest difference is still barely noticeable.
    I went from a 5200rpm to a 10000rpm HD and still had little difference in my PM G4.

24. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, as Felldownthewell implied, it doesn't void the warranty. The hard drive is a user-installable part on the MacBook, and thus swapping it out doesn't carry any warranty issues with it. It's the only Apple laptop for which this is the case.