7200rpm in a CRT iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by FattyMembrane, Aug 12, 2002.

1. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

my little indigo iMac suffers from the pesky "beeping sleep" problem due to its maxtor drive which even causes delays in the drive turning on at boot time. i'm looking into replacing the drive and was wondering if anyone has any horror/success stories about 7200rpm hds in the crt imacs. i realize that this is not advised due to heating factors and will void my warranty blah blah blah... but i've heard reports that some western digital 7200 drives run at the same temp as my maxtor 5400. i can use any little speed bump and just wanted suggestions on whether or not people had problems and if so, with what brands.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: 7200rpm in a CRT iMac?

I've done it, i know lots of people who have also. its absolutely, 100% perfectly fine to put a 7200 rpm drive in there. at most it will increase temps 1 or 2 degrees, and you'll still be well within specs.

Speed increase is nice, not mind blowing, but ncie (faster startup for instance)

3. FattyMembrane thread starter macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

thanks for the confirmation, i'm glad to hear that it has not caused any problems. computer manufacturers always seem to be quite pavid in terms of upgrades.