720P DVD movies on OS X??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Woodcrest64, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I'm wondering if anybody or any application has been able to upsample dvd movies to 720P on their MAC.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Doesn't upscaling require a hardware upscaler, although perhaps it can also be done in software.

3. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. The processor and GPU should be able to do it.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What is the point? You can't add new data to a DVD. As it is, your DVDs will look quite nice on most HDTVs using either component video or one of the set's digital ports.

5. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Sorry, I meant watching 720P DVDs on your notebook when traveling abroad.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Is there a way to make a HD-DVD from a regular DVD?

;)

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Hmm depends. A HD-DVD has a higher resolution than a standard DVD, thus it has more pixels. There are upscalers that use algorithms to add pixels to a standard DVD image to make it HD. But it's really just educated guesswork.
    :)

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

But whats the point? The quality degrades when upscaling. Better watch SD-DVD and dont bother, HD wont be any better.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Actually, depends on the quality of the upscaler. More pixels means better quality image. If the algorithm is good then these 'extra' pixels 'fit' the original image and make the image look better. (Not a very technical explanation, but hopefully useful)

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

How can ANY upscaler know whhich pixels to add?

The upsacle decreases the quality, no way around it.

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Probably by examining the given pixels around the spot where it wants to create a pixel.

Well, more pixels = better image quality, however if the 'added' pixels didn't fit in then I can see how you could say it was worse quality.

From what I have read, upscaling does offer a better picture on LCD and plasma screens although doesn't offer much on CRT display.

12. nordesmic macrumors member

Theoretically, your logic makes sense. I have a pretty cheap LG DVD upscaling player and on my 42 inch Plasma there isn't any noticeable difference.

In Australia the networks have SD and HD versions of each channel. The HD channel is simply an upscaled version of the SD channel, unless the content is CSI, Law and Order or one of the other big American shows. If you switch between the two there is a significant increase in quality on the upscaled version. There are smoother edges to the picture.

Your comments smack of someone who has not seen a good upscaler in action.

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

More pixels doesnt mean better quality. This was proven by digital cameras, but thats another case.

If you think upscaling doesnt decrease the image quality, go open a picture in Photoshop, upscale it 200%, then shrink back to its original size. Boom!

Yes, upscaling does some smoothing, but many consider smoothness=blurness (i'm not one of those, however)

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, but i think you may be comparing the wrong thing here.

The comparison should be an image at 480p displayed on a screen with 1280*720 pixels, compared with the same image upscaled to 720p and then displayed on the same screen.

15. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The orogonal question was about the ability to watch SD DVDs on a 1280x800 (I assume) screen at higer resolution.

Cant you just turn the full screen mode in DVD Player? It will upscale the movie automatically.

16. bozigle macrumors regular

Well

not only the improvement of quality image is not realistic (just try to convert a video from youTube into a regular dvd 480p and you see) and won't probably be noticable but you'll have in the process slow down your computer because it will have to deal with more data to treat than before.

real improvement in upscaling however can be achived with the such as Faroudja Video Processors... piece of hardware available in Player and projector (probably flatscreen too)... they do sell their piece of hardware expensively and never heard about a soft version of it...

If you really want got waste you memory storage and computer's resources here is a solution
    Extract your video from your dvd,
    import file in iMovie HD new movie HD format... save your file (some time to encode) and hop a movie in HD format... i can't help thinking you're wasting your time ... but since this is not mine be my guest.

bozigle

17. Woodcrest64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

LOL! Well I guess that's one way to do it. I've "heard" that newer GPUs can render video better along with newer dvd player software as well. It was more or less just a question of interest. I'm on the road a lot and there are moments of down time where I watch a movie here and there. I do really appreciate all the answers though! :)

18. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The GPU has nothing to do with rendering video, its all the CPU work. (Unless we are talking about Motion)

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought CoreVideo outsourced some of the video work to the GPU in apps like QT7 that use it.

20. Yuvi macrumors member

For most digital video on Mac OS X, the GPU does both colorspace conversion and upscaling. MPEG 2 additionally can have IDCT done on the GPU, though Apple made the API for this private, so only Apple's DVD player really makes use of this.