720p mkv player for ipad 3 ???

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by brave5213, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a smooth 720p media player for ipad 3, and it also should support smi subtitles.
    so far i tried pro player, hd player pro but none of them can able to play 720p mkv files smoothly.

can anybody suggest a good video player with possibly hardware accelerated ?

2. macrumors newbie

silversun

Try AVPlayer HD, it should run 720p flawlessly. At 1080p with high bit rate...maybe choppy a little bit.

3. macrumors 6502

I tried AVPlayer HD and 720p files that had a high bitrate were very choppy.

I ended up installing XBMC after jailbreaking. Right now, they are working out the 1080p playback issues. For the time being, they've lowered the playback resolution until they get the 1080p optimization issues fixed. I think they also have the resolution clamp set for 720p videos as well.

Apple won't allow any players on the AppStore to use hardware acceleration.

Software players like AVPlayer HD use software acceleration which is a killer on battery life, so that's not a good enough solution, imho.

4. brave5213, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012

thread starter macrumors regular

you are wrong, there are some video players which has hardware acceleration such as pro player. they updated their app after i open this topic. it's better than before now, but still not smooth.

[​IMG]

5. macrumors G3

Night Spring

6. macrumors newbie

If your device is JB, use XBMC.

As far as I know, the various "normal" app can only use hardware acceleration to decode MP4 file (due to Apple's API limitation), so other file formats/containers are played using software decoding.

XBMC however, being a jb/non-apple-approved app and all, can use hw decode with any file type including MKV and from personal experience, it does play ALOT better with mkv files then other apps.

7. macrumors 6502

There's no reason to use a 3rd party player if you're going to be playing Apple-compliant MP4 files.

There are zero appstore 3rd party players out there that use hardware acceleration for non-MP4 files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.