7300GT PC card to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ampd, Aug 28, 2006.

1. ampd macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2006
    My friend just bought a 7300GT and realized that his comp. only has an 8x slot so he is either going to return the card or I could buy it for my mac pro...Now the question is, can I someone flash the bios on the card so that it will work in my mac pro and under OS X? If so, can someone point me to a "how to" or explain this for me?
  2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    In short, no. The system is too new for people to have developed any hacks or bios flashing tricks to get PC cards running in OS X.

You could very likely run it in Windows, but it'd be a crap shoot if the system would boot to OS X with it installed. Some cards seem to cause kernel panics in OS X, some seem to be ignored and treated like plain ole' VGA adaptors. Not sure how it would react to the PC version of the 7300.

I'd say you'd be better off letting him return it and getting a Mac card for your Mac Pro unless you are getting a really really good deal.

But, I don't have a Mac Pro (hardly anyone does at this point) so I could be completely wrong; it's happened before. Once. ;)