733 G4 Tower Graphics Card Recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by technocoy, Jun 27, 2006.

1. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

Hey Peeps,

Just came across an old 733 tower (the one before the quicksilver change) that I want to hook up to a decent monitor and would like some more power in the graphics card area for 10.4.

Can anyone recommend a good card that will still work in these older machines? I'm a little rusty on the hardware side, and would love some recommendations.

I would obviously like to keep it relatively cheap, but I'm not opposed to spending a little money. It's mostly going to be sitting as a server, but I my wife may use it from time to time. I would like to use it as a backup machine and may use it as a media server. Anyway, It's not a bad machine and I hate to just have it sit there.

Thanks in advance,
    technocoy

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A Radeon 7500, 9000, hacked 9600, or a GeForce 4 MX is fine too.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would also recommend an ATI Radeon 9000.

4. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

5. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

thanks all

i greatly appreciate the help...

i'll look in to the modded one, but how realiable is that? i would love to have core image.

otherwise, i'll probably go with the 9000.

6. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

That makes me sad, I have a 733 tower, and I still love it like it was new. With the 896mb ram it goes great, I did't ever think of it as an "older mac" before, because I am running 10.4.6 (scared to do the .7 update yet).
    I always thought of older macs as ones that can't handle OS X. But I guess my tower is an older mac as it can actually boot into classic, yeah, that's right.

7. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

Vader

lol, nah, it's just that being in the design and multimedia fields i'm probably just used to having the latest machines. It's a fine machine and I'm hoping to turn it into a media server.

8. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

What exactly is core image? I know it has something to do with the ripple effect in the dashboard, but that's about all I know.

9. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

it really helps speed things up throughout the interface and with certain apps... it allows OS X to offload some of the processor intensive tasks to the GPU instead of bogging down the computer as well.