737 off runway at MDW

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by skoker, Dec 8, 2005.

1. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

A Southwest Airlines (my future employer :) ) 737-700 (with the winglets) has just crashed upon landing in heavy weather at Chicago Midway airport. Flight WN 1248 is BWI-MDW. Very heavy snow at time of accident. 98 People reported on board, several injuries to people in vehicles on the ground. Reports that nose gear collapsed upon landing, unconfirmed at this point.

Will update as more becomes available.

2. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah its snowing like crazy here, its a bit unbelieveable, and its not the heavy snow either, its the light powder thats super slippery.

im not surprised to hear about this happening, i just hope everyone is okay.

4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I didn't read the article but I hope nobody was critically injured in this accident... I guess the plane ended up very near my room mates home

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think it's more like a vehicle sideswiped by a 737, wonder if insurance will cover that.

I had the rightaway, but this 737 ran a red light. :eek:

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Ok, and here my Senior Graphic Design class is discussing possible Winter Quarter Studio visits in other cities and someone suggested Chicago as his #1 choice. Great, I mean a plan crash is after all a rarity when one thinks of how many there are flying 24/7. But still.

Glade the passengers are OK.

7. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Guess what city I'm flying into tomorrow to go home! :eek: hhehehehe.

8. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I just herd that a 6-year old boy was killed in the accident.
    Thats truely sad. :( :(

9. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

So did I. It's horrible that someone was killed but even worse that they were so young.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sounds like that entire family was injured. :(

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yea, this is a big mess. I'm still more worried about the fire that happened at the Fullerton el station today on the North Side as I go to DePaul, but I haven't heard much about it at all because of the plane accident.

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

13. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

That is weirld. Just this week in my manufacturing class we all had to choose some type of manufacturing defect lawsuit case and then give a presentation to the class. One group picked the beoing 737 because they have a history of crashes. Something with tail rudder getting stuck in an extreme position to the side due to a hydrolic cylinder.

14. pinto32 macrumors 6502

yeah, that defect was responsible for ~3 accidents in the early 90's. If I remember right, 2 were American Airlines and one was United.

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

it would have been funny if stopped in front of the drive through window...
    But i feel bad for that boys family. An accident could have been avoided.
    I wonder how bad we'll get it in MA. I have a final tomarrow, i wonder if they cancel it, if i would have to make it up.

16. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Haha, wishful thinking in this blizzard.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't think the 737 has an usual safety record. Southwest flies nothing but 737s, and they've had only two accidents in their entire history, IIRC. Both (including this one) were runway overruns. If somebody in the airplane did die in this accident then I think it will be the first fatality ever on a Southwest airplane -- which is a pretty darned good record.

18. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I can't believe that 7 inches of snow can be a problem. Here (in Finland) we have several feet of snow during the winter, and all airports are operational at all times. Snow is never a problem.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why the smiley? That could be you on that plane, buddy. :confused:

And from all these stories, the boy wasn't really talked about very much, and he's the one who died. Sorta sad.

20. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

I know should be an interesting day today.

21. skoker thread starter macrumors 68000

skoker

I think one was an US Airways 737, crashed outside Pittsburgh, but I was only like 4 at the time so I don't remember much about it. The only other WN (Southwest) "crash" ever was a runway overrun at Burbank back in 2000 when they had a bird strike and rejected the takeoff, coming to rest on the end of the runway in a gas station. WN has only had one faitality on any of its flights, a flight a few years back from Salt Lake to Las Vegas where a man was killed by his fellow passengers :(

I'm a big Southwest fan (along with the rest of my family, so this accident is quite disappointing. Scary enough, I was on this aircraft about 3 months ago BUF-BWI. Reg # is N471WN

22. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Even though I made the comment about my classmates doing a presentation on the 737's, they did mention that even with this defect, the 737's are still the safest planes in the air. They are the most flown airplane in history and have the best record.

23. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Accident spot is circled. What a wacky place to put a runway.

Attached Files:

24. iGary Guest

iGary

It was the PCU dual-servo valve that was suspect in those crashes you mention, and a replacement program is still in effect. Pilots have been trained to "work around" the failure in simulation (or so three chums of mine who happen to fly 737's tell me).

All of the valves have not been replaced yet, believe it or not.

Anyway, looks like the pilot of this one probably came in a bit hot, or overshot the aiming point, which is pretty hard to do with ILS. It will be interesting to see. Could be the runway was just icy as hell.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Burbank accident occurred on landing. The NTSB conclusion was excess speed and improper approach path. FWIW.