7448 upgrade

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G5 Mac Daddy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I'm seriously thinking about buying one of these upgrades if I can ever find one for sale. I want to test it against my G5 machine. In the real world, I wonder how it feels compared to the G5 machines.

2. macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors regular

Supply limited. One available! :)

4. thread starter macrumors member

What ya got ? Is it a dualie? How much money are we talking about? PM me. :D

5. macrumors regular

I was talking about the link posted above. :-( They have one left.

6. macrumors regular

I've always wanted one for my sawtooth but 600 is a big chunk of change.

7. thread starter macrumors member

WOW thats awesome. Now I want to blow a big chunk of money for silly fun....

8. macrumors regular

if you do it get a dual. What powermac would it be going in?

9. thread starter macrumors member

I'd love to put it in a quicksilver.

10. macrumors 68020

zen.state

They must have made a small batch of dual 7448 to meet demand. The only reason they are so expensive is the rarity of them along with the fact that the 7448 is the bleeding edge tech of all the G4's. It's far more tiny and advanced than other G4 chips at 90nm vs the 130-200nm size of all the others.

If I were you I would be all over that. I would love to buy that dual but will let you have it. If you ever decide to sell it just send me a private msg here and I will buy it in a heartbeat. The single like mine are rare enough but the dual are even more rare.

The bottom line is you would have the fastest G4 on earth no matter what G4 tower you put it in from the Sawtooth to the QS (no MDD compatibility). My single 7448 keeps up with dual 1.8GHz G5's so a dual 7448 will eclipse that for certain.

11. thread starter macrumors member

I bet it would smoke my dual g5 machine. The six hundred dollar price tag is really steep but I'm in serious negotiations with my wife for it ....
    On a completely different note, Im looking at a 2.7 dualie machine to replace my dualie 1.8 machine with. Its alot cheaper way to go but it doesn't have the allure of the fastest g4 on the planet.:D

12. macrumors 68000

Nameci

Let's compare ourselves to rare car collectors and enthusiast. There is no some of money that can equate to the bragging rights. Price is too steep for me but if I have cash to spare right now, I will buy it in a heart beat. It is much more enticing than let say a new macbook air. The sawtooth would be the best candidate I guess because of the maximum ram you can put into it compared with the others. Zen could correct me on this.

13. macrumors 68020

zen.state

The Gigabit ethernet model has the same 2GB RAM capacity as the Sawtooth vs. the 1.5GB limit in the Digital Audio and QS. Over the years though I have noticed the Gigagbit PSU's are not near as reliable as the Sawtooth are. I would prefer the onboard gigabit vs. the gigabit PCI card I have to use but the PSU tradeoff made the choice for me.

The DA and QS are both very reliable towers also but in my experiences the extra 512MB RAM is more of an overall system benefit than the 33MHz faster bus and AGP 4x vs 2x. OS X loves RAM as we all know so the 33% extra of 2GB vs. 1.5GB and better PSU is why I chose the Sawtooth.

To get even more life out of the great Sawtooth PSU's it's a good idea to replace the fan with a good 80mm ball bearing that blows at least 30 CFM.

14. thread starter macrumors member

I want to see this duallie reach its full potential. It would be nice if there were some 1gb chips for this old beast.

15. macrumors 68020

zen.state

It's a logic board limitation so larger dimms or not the limits would be the same.

16. thread starter macrumors member

Someone is selling a sonnet duet upgrade on ebay that claims to be dual 1.8 7455's. I thought the dual 1.8's were either 7447a's or 7448's. Its got my curiosity peaking...

17. macrumors 6502a

Mine is Gigabit Ethernet (Powermac 3.3 I guess) and the fan of the psu is making some noise/vibration any suggestion on make/model for the psu?

18. Cox Orange, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

macrumors 68000

about the RAM:
    I do have 2GB RAM in my Sawtooth and I chose this, because I thought it would be better, but it depends. I did convert DV-files to h.264 and under 1GB of RAM were used (I have tested the RAM several times over hours so it is not, that the RAM can't be used). With Logic, 2GB of RAM is an advantage though!

About the PSU of the Gigabit ethernet: one could still replace a defective PSU cheaply, but the potential to harm other system components by a defective PSU might be worth considering ;)

PS: Zen, I tried to send you a message. It did not work. Maybe you can have a look at my post in "Any way to make my Sawtooth fan run quieter or any recommended fan replacement?" started by Alexreich.

19. macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I'd like to know how Unreal 2004 and other games play on that. If you ever get it you should totally run games before and after the upgrade and share the results.

20. macrumors 68000

Here they explain how to "transform" a PC ATX PSU to Mac http://atxg4.com/gige-da.html

21. macrumors regular

Someone has bought the dual 1.8GHz upgrade card, which was linked above :D

Couple of days ago it was "One Available", and not it is "Sold Out"

22. thread starter macrumors member

I saw that... :(

23. macrumors regular

So it was not you. :-(

24. thread starter macrumors member

Believe me I am kicking myself...I might not see another for a long while...

25. macrumors 65816

cocacolakid