7457 in new iBooks

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ColoJohnBoy, Oct 29, 2003.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I was browsing around the developer notes for the new iBook G4, and came across a link to this article. The new iBooks use the 7457 processor! This must be how they're able to get five hours of battery life out of the suckers.

EDIT: Okay, now I'm confused. I looked a bit more at the articles on Moto's website. It says the 7457 comes with 512k of L2 cache built-in. Would Apple cripple the L2 cache? Then I looked at the specs for the 7455 - it comes with 256k L2 and operates at all the speeds that the iBooks do. So either Apple crippled the cache to differentiate from the PowerBooks, or they're lying as to what processor they're using.

2. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

Hmm, I was pretty sure that they made a point, to say it was not a 7457, but the 7455.

aethier

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Someone do an Xbench on them. If it says (Apollo) after the G4 description, then we'll know it's the older one.

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Someone already did ... see the xbench threads. They verified that it's a 7455.

5. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

what the watts usage on the 7455.

If thats what the new iBooks are using, I wanna know the heat and fan issue, I want to buy a computer that quiet and cool, for script writing...

6. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Motorola used the 7455 to do SOI testing on and that is most likely what was used in the PowerMac line and one reason why Apple could get higher clock rates then what Motorola had listed. I believe that copper interconnects were used as well, which lowers power consumption and heat generated. The 7457 is a 7455 but at a smaller process and twice the cache, that’s it, nothing more.

So if you want to know the wattage of the 7455, you need to define which one, like speed and the never generation with SOI and copper or the older one.

7. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

i would love to know what the watts would be on a 933, I think that I can do without the extra 67 speed wise since i would use this for scripting and thats it.

Anyone know anything about the screen on the iBooks and if they are dimmer than the Ti's

Thanks for the help and answers.

8. sahnert macrumors 6502

i've used both the 12" iBook and the 12" Powerbook. Both displays seem clear and bright to me.

9. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

You have the new G4 iBook?

HOw is the heat and fan noise?

10. sahnert macrumors 6502

oh sorry not the new one. i assumed the displays were the same.

11. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Never assume...

The Ti and the ALu don't have the same screen!

One could assume that they should have had something close, but./..

12. sahnert macrumors 6502

now I'm really confused. I thought Ti and Alu were 15" PowerBooks. Aren't we talking about 12" iBooks vs 12" BowerBook? I didn't know the 12" PB was ever Ti. I also didn't know that the old iBook was refered to Ti as opposed to the new ALu iBook.

Please clarify

13. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

There is nothing to be confused about,
    you confuse easy.

He is talking about iBooks.
    I was merely making an analogy that new versions of the same models do not always use the same components.

And that assuming so could prove wrong.

Simple enough.

14. rsgunther macrumors newbie

new ibook

I have the new iBook G4 800. I'm not sure what they did, but it is awesome. This machine seems much faster than my old tiBook 800. It also runs WAY cooler than my old tiBook 800 or my old ibook g3 700. And the battery life blows them all away. And for only $1100!! I am very pleased. They have done some serious engineering!

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I noticed that the keyboards feel stronger on the new iBooks, too.

16. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Re: new ibook

can you post some bechmarks?

17. huntsman macrumors member

I received my iBook G4 12" on Monday, and after using it for the past couple of days it seems that heat and noise is a non-issue, allaying my previous fears about Apple's the choice of the G4.

Basically, I haven't heard its fan come on at all in this late spring, Australian climate, in a non air conditioned room.

The 40GB Fujitsu HD that was fitted is virtually silent, though it does warm up the left side of the palm rest when it's been active (doesn't get hot, though).

Although, as with previous iBooks, some units may be more susceptible to activating their fan than others, based on what I've read.