7457 RM ! Stoped ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by macmunch, Apr 17, 2003.

1. macmunch macrumors regular

2. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I did a quick translation with google and even though it seems the 7457RM wouldn't have been ready until very late next year, the last paragraph of the story said (in the usual automated disjointed translation) that the PPC970 will be produced at speeds of 1.4Ghz starting on May 1st with faster chips going into production on the 21st!!

I don't really think adding Rapid I/O to a G4 in 18 months would make much difference anyway, It would be too little too late and by then the PPC980 could be on the cards.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

When has Macbidoulle ever been right? They don't have the best track record, do they?

Anyways, according to Motorola, Alpha samples have been shipped to "selected customers" and general sampling was scheduled in March 2003. They don't expect production until Q4 2003.

Hey, with pressure from IBM's 970, maybe Moto could hasten ramp-up and get these suckers out a little early.

I'm betting that they ship these guys in time so that Macs will have them for Christmas 2003. HEDGE - that is if Apple uses the 7457.

EDIT - My bad. I went and translated the Macbidoulle article. I see that they were talking about the 7457RM and not the 7457. Apologies to all.

4. macmunch thread starter macrumors regular

Oh no !

They have very good !

They gave us the pictures from the MDD Power Macs ...

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Maybe I'm getting them confused with another site.

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

With the PPC970 coming there is no reason that Moto would make the 7457RM, unless Apple wanted it for another product line. I would guess that the last G4 series chip that Apple will use will be the 7457 in consumer desktops and laptops. When the life of the 7457 is over...IBM will be the sole provider unless way down the road Moto has something up their sleeves, which I doubt.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Killing the 7457-RM, which is Motorola's G4 made on the smaller process with an integrated DDR memory controller and Rapid I/O, means that's Motorola's competition to the 970 is effectively dead.

And without any real movement to boost the G4s to 48-bit and/or 64-bit memory adressing anytime soon, Motorola may have cut themselves out as a supplier.

Apple has to move on, or this Christmas should be the date that people look at 32-bit memory and start gagging on Apple's 2 GB limitation, when compared to AMDs 64-bit machine.

8. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Actually they should have been gaping at the 2Gb limitation and wondering why Apple havn't taken advantage of the G4s 64Gb (36bit memory space) potential since the introduction of the 745x series of CPUs!

Imagine a larger tower design like 9600 but with 12 RAM slots and capable of handling 1Gb of DDR (or even SRAM at a push) in each slot ?

That's the kind of RAM powerhouse apple could have been offering for the past 3 years or so now.

Quotes from the Motorola PDF 'MPC7450FSR0.pdf' :

The MPC7450 microprocessor contains separate memory management units for instructions and data, supporting 4 Petabytes of virtual memory and up to 64 Gigabytes of physical memory. The MPC7450 also has four instruction block address translation and four data block address translation registers.

and...

MPC7450 microprocessors support the MPX bus protocol with a 64-bit data bus and a 32- or 36-bit address bus.

It's Apple's fault we've got a limitation related to the CPU, not Motorola's for a change :mad:

What would you do with 64Gb of RAM anyway ? Instant access to you're entire CD collection as 256Kbps mp3s in a huge RAM disk would be my suggestion but what about a practical use for that kind of RAM space ?

9. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

let's see...i would NEVER restart. the only reason i do every week or so is to clean out the ram cache. i notice a small speed improvement when i restart.

and it is motorola's fault that the G5 is still not done. wasn't it supposed to be done and ready for shipping in first quarter 2003?

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering that Motorola's processors are no longer the choice for Palm's handhelds, where does that leave Motorola's microprocessor business? The only thing they'll have left is their dwindling embedded market.

11. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

Da Da Da ....
    Another one bites the dust
    Da Da Da ...
    And another one and another one - another one bites the dust .....