750 gb HD in iMac??? and Mac Pro's as well

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joshwest, Aug 30, 2006.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

Hey Guy's i know750 gb HD's have been out on the market for quite a while. I was thinking of picking one up and throwing it in my iMac, but i have heard from several sources they get smoking hot.. Wasnt sure if they are safe because apple hasnt even let it be a BTO option on the iMacs. And also with the release of the mac pro they didnt advertise instead of 2tb it would be 3 tb if you had 4-750 hd's. Apple always like to stay ahead with the newest and fastest i just didnt understand why they didnt move with that... Anyone have any idea?

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm pretty sure someon tried the 750gb hard drives in the Mac Pro and found that things stopped working over 2TB.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I have 2 750GB Seagates in my Mac Pro. No problems here. Not sure about the iMac as I wouldn't want to spend a day trying to take it apart and put it back together again.

4. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

i believe that you can use big drives, as long as the total capacity is less than 2TB. the mainboard can't take any more, or so I hear.

5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

If the Mac Pro can currently only take up to 2TB, would there be anyway that Apple could update firmware or something to raise the maximum possible storage in the future.

6. cube macrumors G4

If I understand the barefeats article correctly, 3x750GB 7200.10 RAID 0 works.
    That's more than 2 TB.

7. reubs macrumors 68000

Just out of sheer curiosity, what do you do with 2 TB of storage? The largest HD I've ever had is 160gb, and I can't even get that halfway filled.

8. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, I rip and handbrake a lot of DVD's, so that takes up a lot of space. Also, I am thinking of storing my CDs in lossless codec. Full size RAW photos also take up a hell of a lot of storage.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't see why they would get any hotter than usual. What usually affects heat is spindle speed, and they are the typical 7200 RPM. I personally don't like the idea of having 750GB on one drive, since hard drive failures are more common than we'd all like to think. It ought to work fine though.