768GB Flash down to $900

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wmy5, Feb 13, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Along with price cuts for rMBP, 768GB Flash upgrade option is only $900 now.

2. macrumors member

jtrainor56

That sucks for people that paid $1300 when they ordered their iMac's. I might have gone for the SSD at that price instead of the 3TB fusion.

3. macrumors member

Yeroon

Still a lot, but more reasonable. But it's a smack in the face for all customers who bought the $1300 option or another one because the difference was too high. Couldn't they think of this before? It's a shame...

4. macrumors 601

Well while $900 for any SSD is too rich for my blood, I don't think it sucks that people paid $1300. Anyone who has pockets that deep for an SSD isn't giving it a second thought. :D

5. macrumors newbie

I think that's actually a fair price if you compare it to SSD drives of the same size sold separately. It seems 600GB SSD drives sell for around 850 eur so 900 eur/usd doesn't feel like ripoff from 786GB SSD.

For me personally it's still too much compared to 1 TB fusion drive which is 650 eur cheaper. Even though it would be nice to have SSD-only computer I would spend the same money elsewhere

Looking at 27" iMacs:

Base 27" iMac with 786 SSD = 2865 eur

Top spec 27" iMac with 1TB Fusion + 680MX + i7 = 2746 eur

Just a personal opinion. I can still understand why someone would go for SSD.

Still it would be best to have SSD + regular HDD like with older models

6. macrumors 6502

Ditto.

It's nice to see that Apple came to its senses and decided to put the crack pipe down.

It's too bad that they didn't realize the absurdity of their $1,300 option in time for product release, although, I think I would have still gone with the 3TB fusion.

7. macrumors newbie

I ordered the 768GB Flash option January 25th (still processing) and Apple graciously adjusted the price when I called this morning.

To me, the extra cost is worth it for noise, power, heat and (hopefully) reliability. I've just had a RAID-0 fail last week, so I may be overly cautious.

I don't have unlimited disposable income, although I do wipe myself with $100 bills. Ahem.

8. macrumors 68040

Excellent news. I called Apple and asked if I should cancel and reorder... but they just price adjusted. Saving $400 is a nice.

My original estimate (back in 2012) was a $1000 upgrade for 768GB SSD. I was disappointed at $1300... but I still ordered. $900 beat my expectations.

/Jim

9. macrumors regular

This is great news :)

It would be awesome if I could get the 3TB drive in there too and partition it off. Then I wouldn't need an external.

10. macrumors 6502

:)A 768GB flash w/3TB spinning platter, fusioned, for the win. :D

/a future mod to look forward to once this is out of warranty.

11. macrumors 68040

I'll be using my 768GB SSD along with an external Thunderbolt 8TB Pegasus R4 (configured as 4TB RAID 10). It seems to be a lot faster than a single spindle drive. I think I am through using single spindle drives for primary data... but will continue to use them just for backup.

In a couple of years, when SSDs are in the multi-TB range... I'll just shut off the Pegasus or attach it to a Mac Mini Server. My newly ordered iMac will go to my wife... who will probably never exceed 768GB... or even 1/2 of that.

/Jim

12. macrumors 6502

Wow! :eek: Apple should give money back to those who ordered, but haven´t still received the machines.

13. macrumors 601

They don't charge your credit card until it ships.;)

14. macrumors 6502

What about those who have bought from resellers and paid already the higher price, but still haven´t received their machines?

15. macrumors 68040

I would request a lower price from the reseller. If they will not comply, then cancel the order.

/Jim

16. macrumors 6502a

I guess that's up to the policy that the resellers have set.

17. macrumors member

Have they altered the price of the i7 and the 680mx on the high end 27"? (ukstore)

currently showing the i7 being £160 and the 680 being £120

Was just looking at the price of the SSD (which i may have been tempted to get at that price) and the other upgrades look cheaper than i remember! my invoice doesn't have a breakdown and it was HE anyway.

Anyone can let me know if its just my imagination?

18. macrumors 6502a

only the SSD...

19. macrumors 601

I was only replying about Apple charging before shipping which they generally don't. As far as resellers, I buy from resellers all the time and I've never been charged prior to shipping unless my item was being shipped that same day. That's a policy the customer needs to find out about from the reseller before buying backordered products. If something hasn't shipped and you've been charged the reseller should have no issue taking care of you if the price drops.

20. r0t
    macrumors newbie

I called apple support for my pending/processing imac order. They are not aware of the price drop :confused:. They said I will be charged the new price when the imac is shipped. :cool:

Oh, this is my first post here, I'm new to mac world and love this community.

21. macrumors 65816

Still I prefer to have 256/512 options as well, its not like they don't make them

22. macrumors newbie

What a joy! Thanks for sharing this! I may have just fallen over the edge - I think I will upgrade my iMac now. 768GB is a whole lot of awesome.

23. macrumors newbie

The price drop on the SSD has just bought it within my price range - so I've called apple and asked to change the config on my pending order (I already had an order placed for a 27" with a 3TB fusion drive).

They said the only way to do this was to cancel the order and place a new one - which I've now done. I was a bit dismayed that I would have to go to the back of the queue again and wait another 6 weeks. I mentioned this to the call center girl who said she would try to get the order expedited but can't guarantee anything. She said I would know within 48 hours if there is anything they can do.. so fingers crossed.

Has anyone else changed their order and had Apple put them back in their original queue slot afterwards rather than get sent to the back of the line?

24. macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Please! If you are that offended why didn't you wait? Most who participate in Macrumors predicted a price drop at some point.

25. macrumors member

I think the technicl term for those who ordered from a reseller is "screwed over!"

I'll lose my deposit if I cancel.

I'll give the APR a ring today but I don't think there is any chance that they will pass on the new pricing as Apple will no doubt not pass it on to them.

It annoys me as my wait will be 8 weeks today!