Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman iPowermacbookprair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Hello everyone,

Some time ago I got a late 2005 Power Mac G5 with, I suppose, a broken video card. It used to have some crashes at times but after replacing the ram these seem to be gone. But somehow it still isn't always functioning correctly. Colin McRae Rally Mac, for example, will only run at 800x600 resolution. Above that I just get a black screen (but the game is running as I do hear sound). Besides not appearing to be working correctly, it's also quite loud and so I'd like to replace it with a 512MB version, because 1. It's the fastest PPC card there is and 2. It has a very good (though enormous) cooling system. I've already got the card itself and it's working beautifully on my Windows pc, but I just can't find a working PowerPC rom for it. I've contacted Japamac a couple of months ago but he doesn't seem to respond. I've also tried flashing a Quadro rom onto it but that didn't work either. Could anyone here provide me with a working rom for this card?

Kind regards,

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2016
I think I tried that one but just to be sure I'll try again anyway.

EDIT: The file doesn't have any extension. I'll just add .ROM to it because nvflash won't recognise it without it.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2016
The 7800GTX 512 is a PCI-e card. It is where I got the Quadro rom from though, so they do have roms for some pci-e cards as well. But not mine, unfortunately.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Thanks a lot for letting me try the rom you suggested! I was pretty sure I had already tried it but it turns out that wasn't the case. The card now works flawlessly in my Power mac G5.

Majoris

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
DC
Thanks a lot for letting me try the rom you suggested! I was pretty sure I had already tried it but it turns out that wasn't the case. The card now works flawlessly in my Power mac G5.
Thats cool! Tell me how much vram do you have after you flashed your rom? Did you get all of your 512MB? Thinking about getting this card.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Thats cool! Tell me how much vram do you have after you flashed your rom? Did you get all of your 512MB? Thinking about getting this card.
I get all of the 512MB according to the system profiler. Wouldn't really know how to test it but I do know it's working very well. And it's quieter than the 256MB version I used to have in it, though not as quiet as I'd hoped, honestly. But I'm very happy anyway.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Unfortunately I can't run the benchmark because the mac doesn't recognise my screen properly. Always had that problem with Macs because I don't have a DVI monitor, so I have to use some DVI to VGA adaptor which for some reason has never worked well for me. I can't see what's going on when I run the benchmark.

Majoris

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
DC
Unfortunately I can't run the benchmark because the mac doesn't recognise my screen properly. Always had that problem with Macs because I don't have a DVI monitor, so I have to use some DVI to VGA adaptor which for some reason has never worked well for me. I can't see what's going on when I run the benchmark.
You can also try blender http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.63/ and run some demos/benchmarks https://www.blender.org/download/demo-files/

Reactions: henrymyf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Are you sure that's not just a cpu benchmark for such an old machine? CUDA isn't supported, and cpu usage is pretty high. It takes a very long time to render that BMW benchmark, anyway. I let it run for half an hour or so and it still had a very long way to go, and besides it had only counted two minutes for some reason...
[doublepost=1463939327][/doublepost]I got 127.38 fps in the OpenGL test of XBench. Hope that gives you an idea of its performance.
EDIT: No, it doesn't. Because that would mean it's slower than a 6800 Ultra which it should certainly not be...

Last edited:

Majoris

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
DC
Are you sure that's not just a cpu benchmark for such an old machine? CUDA isn't supported, and cpu usage is pretty high. It takes a very long time to render that BMW benchmark, anyway. I let it run for half an hour or so and it still had a very long way to go, and besides it had only counted two minutes for some reason...
[doublepost=1463939327][/doublepost]I got 127.38 fps in the OpenGL test of XBench. Hope that gives you an idea of its performance.
EDIT: No, it doesn't. Because that would mean it's slower than a 6800 Ultra which it should certainly not be...
Your right it's CPU intensive app. I was just curious if there was a GPU option for your nividia. If you got some 1080p warez(with high bitrate). Maybe you can test if the gpu can handle playing. As for my 9650. I can play some 1080p high bit rate videos with no stuttering. But some slight artifacts in dark areas.
[doublepost=1463941266][/doublepost]You can use Geekbench and compare your results with other G5's.

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2015
Macman, it's good news that you succeeded! I have also just flashed the rom to my 512 7800GTX, and it works well! I'm putting up a screen shot here. Sorry it's in Chinese, but you could get the gist.

We can communicate more on this. I feel so excited about it!
2.pic.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.