Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think the 2017 iPhone will be?

• iPhone 7S only. Same shell, updated internals.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • iPhone 8. It's going to be a complete redesign.

Votes: 90 53.3%
  • They'll release both the iPhone 7S and an anniversary edition, which has a complete redesign.

Votes: 19 11.2%
  • I haven't the foggiest, so I'll just wait and see what Apple release.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • I don't care what they release, as long as they release a 4" iPhone with the same specs.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • They'll be bringing back 16GB storage. That's the only change.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Don't mind me, I'm just hoping for a MacBook Pro update.

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I don't care how bad it is. If it's got Jony Ive's buttery voice introducing it, I'll buy it.

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • I'm more fussed about the colour choice. Fingers crossed for "Unapologetic Beige"!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll hate it. Then I'll read the reviews. Then I'll buy it and I'll love it. Happens every year.

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So, MacRumors seems to be a little divided about this issue. But how divided? When in doubt... take a poll.

What do you think next year's iPhone will be? I'm firmly in the camp of it'll be a 7S and you should set your sights to 2018 for the completely new redesign. But do you think they'll drop the S cycle and release the rumoured anniversary iPhone? Will they release a 7S and an anniversary iPhone?

Are Ming-Chi's predictions right? Will they bring back Scott Forstall?

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts!

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
iPhone 8 with full redesign and new features they've been holding off on. Too many rumours and tech sites in agreements for it to all be untrue. I'm not saying a change in naming format is unlikely because they will need to address their naming conventions at some point, but it depends how soon they choose to do that.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
A third of the choices aren't serious...is this a gag?

Phone will be redesign in that it will be glass, OLED for the 5.5", and no home button.

Probably go with ip8 name...the name is immaterial to me.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Eeek, early feedback seems to be solidly in the redesign camp. For what it's worth, I hope you're all right. But if not, we'll just be waiting 1 more year :)

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Well rumors point out to a complete redesign.......however, they could be wrong......remember the iPhone with a bigger screen and a "tear drop" design back from 2011? We got the 4S instead.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Well rumors point out to a complete redesign.......however, they could be wrong......remember the iPhone with a bigger screen and a "tear drop" design back from 2011? We got the 4S instead.

Exactly what I'm thinking with this. I can't see why they wouldn't be doing a 7S, and if they are doing a new form next year, they'll essentially be reducing the pipeline by one year to cater for the 10th anniversary. It doesn't feel right.

That said, there are a lot of credible people saying the same stuff about this. So who knows. I can't remember off the top of my head who claimed the 4S would be massively different... and Digitimes doesn't count as credible :p

OneZweiThree

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Bavaria
My opinion:

It's time to drop the numbers. There will be an iPhone SE, iPhone and iPhone Plus.
If Apple decides to take it even further, it will be called the Apple Phone, but since "iPhone" is probably the most valuable product name (recent) history, it's a bit unlikely.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
They didn't repeat history with the iPhone 7, which has the same form factor as 6/6+ series.

It's not the same! It's slightly different!

picard-says-no-o.gif

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
It will be the 8. There were tons of rumors coming in about how their production for what they actually wanted this year didn't pan out so they "settled" for the slightly modified, geeked up internal 7. My conspiracy theory is they added the Jet Black gimmick at the last second to sort of seal the deal on making this a seller.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015

There are no credible rumors about this whatsoever. The Jet Black finish on the iPhone 7 is what materialized out of the "all glass" iPhone rumors. Many fail to realize that.

Also, nothing Apple has done indicates they have any interest in 1) a so-called edge-to-edge display, 2) ditching the home button.

It is funny the way people will interpret things any way they want to. They will use available information to fuel their preconceived notions.

Like this:
They're training us to not need the home button as we speak.

...that is one way to interpret the move to a solid state home button. Another way (the correct way that is not fueled by rumor) is to say: Apple just made the first major redesign to the Home Button in 10 editions of iPhone. They didn't do that this year just to completely ditch it next year. Apple doesn't waste R&D effort like that.

There is no good reason to believe that the 11th generation iPhone is anything other than the iPhone 7s.

That said...I do think next year will be a complete redesign :)

Both iPhones released in 2016 (iPhone SE and iPhone 7) are 3rd iteration/evolutions of core designs. They are fantastic phones, largely because Apple has had years to spend redesigning and perfecting these core designs. Look at iPhone 5 compared to iPhone SE. Look at iPhone 6 compared to 7. They achieved a lot over the years. But eventually, their own core design will become a limiting factor when they want to push forward with new ideas.

I think we'll see a new core design in 2017, that spans 4", 4.7" and 5.5" models (or maybe different sizes altogether). And I think that new core design will lead them forward through at least 3 iterations.
[doublepost=1474378233][/doublepost]
It will be the 8. There were tons of rumors coming in about how their production for what they actually wanted this year didn't pan out so they "settled" for the slightly modified, geeked up internal 7. My conspiracy theory is they added the Jet Black gimmick at the last second to sort of seal the deal on making this a seller.
Well your pulled out of the air theories don't mean anything. Most likely Jet Black is what was mistaken for the all glass iPhone that was whispered to be in the works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.