Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trvsw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
Nano won't respond to anything. I've tried charging via multiple computers and multiple outlets and I've tried using all combinations of power, home, and volume buttons together. I've been greeted by nothing but the same black screen. There is no response from the computer when the iPod is plugged in (doesn't show up in My Computer or in iTunes).

Basically, I want to know what is most likely to need replacement at this point. It could just be the battery, but I would expect it to power on when plugged in. This leads me to believe it would be a failed motherboard, but I have no way to test that. Nothing online (that I've been able to find) describes any part of what I'm interested in.

TL;DR: Black screen, no charge, doesn't register on computer. What needs replaced?

Ipod Collector

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2015
Nano won't respond to anything. I've tried charging via multiple computers and multiple outlets and I've tried using all combinations of power, home, and volume buttons together. I've been greeted by nothing but the same black screen. There is no response from the computer when the iPod is plugged in (doesn't show up in My Computer or in iTunes).

Basically, I want to know what is most likely to need replacement at this point. It could just be the battery, but I would expect it to power on when plugged in. This leads me to believe it would be a failed motherboard, but I have no way to test that. Nothing online (that I've been able to find) describes any part of what I'm interested in.

TL;DR: Black screen, no charge, doesn't register on computer. What needs replaced?

Yes, the ipod should turn on when plugged into a wall outlet adapter.
If it doesn't turn on/no life, more than likely something blew on the MB.
If so, it's simply not worth trying to fix. You can get another unit used
cheaper on ebay than you'd be paying to fix yours.

RC08

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2016

Hey, how did u get on with your ipod. Did u get it fixed? And if so how? I literally had the same problem last night, I connected it to the computer and it said connected and then froze completely. I reset it using the home button and the lock button together, and nothing it went completely black and has no sign of life. Now it's been charging for hours and nothing, like you I have plugged it into everything and no response. I just wanted to know if u got it fixed and if so how much did it cost you?

Thanks,

Rob

trvsw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
Hey, how did u get on with your ipod. Did u get it fixed? And if so how? I literally had the same problem last night, I connected it to the computer and it said connected and then froze completely. I reset it using the home button and the lock button together, and nothing it went completely black and has no sign of life. Now it's been charging for hours and nothing, like you I have plugged it into everything and no response. I just wanted to know if u got it fixed and if so how much did it cost you?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I never really looked into it any further, so I can't so for certain that was the issue or how much it might cost to fix.

I'd suggest finding a repair shop in your area and they should be able to quote you a price.

Best of luck

Travis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.