8.5GB Capacity DVD Burners in 2 Months

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Grimace, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I was just about to post this same topic...

Man I need to get rid of my DRX-510UL now....

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

isn't that old news??

for PC's doesn't Sony or someone have a dual-layer burner out on the market right now?

4. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

No one has one that will burn 1 side with 8.5GB without flipping. Those discs are hard to come by anyway.

Sony is releasing one that "shines through" the first layer to get to the second, so that no flipping is required. Helpful for games and movies.

5. Dahl macrumors 6502a

6. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Dual-layer

If you equate SuperDrives with the Pioneer DVD/CD±R/RW laser drives that Apple has been installing in our PowerMacs, etc. since January 2001, then take note that Pioneer has already been putting on public demonstrations of Dual-Layer buring at shows since October 2003 using a firmware upgrade on a 4x DVR-A06 (current model installed in the soon to be "old" G5s ;) ).

Now that the 8x DVR-A07 is out, there is no telling whether Pioneer will unleash Dual-Layer burning capability in models DVR-AO6 ~ forward, or force us to buy another new drive model (which is the general consensus).

Four things have to happen for Dual-Layer DVD burning becomes a reality in the Mac world -

1. Pioneer (or, other manufacturers, most notably SONY) need to actually manufacture Dual-Layer Drives capable of burning Dual-Layer discs and release them to the public.

2. Pioneer needs to supply the firmware for qualified DVD±R SuperDrives to use.

3. Pioneer needs to get disc manufacturers like Verbatim, Taiyo-Yuden manufacturer of PioData brand for Pioneer in Japan, or Ritek in Taiwan, to produce certified DVD-R[DL] media and make them available to consumers.
    [​IMG]
    4. Pioneer needs to supply Apple, Roxio and other software developers with the specifics for upgrading their DVD burning software on DVD-R[DL] disc media.

When these three DVD "weather conditions" co-exist, then you will see a Tsunami storm begin to brew on the horizon.

7. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

Sometimes apple needs to lead the pack. Releasing the burners with the capability of dual layer burning before the market is fully ready for it is okay. Look at firewire - look at the mouse. No one needed those two things; Apple provided and the market absorbed the benefits.

8. Dahl macrumors 6502a

9. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

this is old news. sony had prototypes months ago and the dual layer one is out now. Pioneer is going to have one by the summer. Forget this 8.5 GB garbage wait until Blu-ray. I'll take 50GB per disk.

Tyler

10. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Can powerbooks do the same thing that g5s can do with that firmware? is there any updates to the firmware for powerbooks that give added features?

11. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

50 GB - omg

Tyler, I've heard of BluRay but 50 G B ? Wow.
    Do you have any links on that?

12. 0 and A ai macrumors regular

Don't think he does cuase i've never heard of it either

Wonder how easy it will be to burn exact copy of dual layered dvd movies with this drive.

13. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

are you guys just now getting 8x drives??
    hello 12x is the future, and apparently the future is here.
    ;) j/k...

reality

14. sen_almighty macrumors member

http://news.com.com/2100-1041-1001033.html

i think i read sometime in january taht a company already release a blue laser one in japan or korea, somewhere in asia....

15. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Actually blue laser dics will have an initial capacity of 23 - 27 GB per disc, but I think its only a single layer media. So you could imagine 50+GB for dual layer discs. But you won't be able to read these in anything but blue-violet laser drives.

http://www.compoundsemiconductor.net/articles/news/6/2/35/1

16. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

12th of Never for 12x - not even stop gap on the way to 16x

Yes, it is true that LG and SONY are going to venture into the 12th of Never Neverland, but the rest of the world (especially Pioneer) is already focused on 16x which will be the ultimate speed for DVD discs as we know them today. Other technologies wait in the wings.

Their problem will be in developing a rather short-lived interest in 12x DVD+R media, when the steps are alreadey set in stone at 4x, 8x, and 16x.

Didn't SONY misjudge public interest with its Beta format? (even though it was technically superior to VHS).

With Dual-Layer drives and media only a few months away, and 16x due within the next 6 to 9 months, 12x is likely to be as "yesterday" as 2x is today.

Let me guess, your SuperDrive is 4x, or maybe only 2x, and you don't have an 8x yet. Right? So, you think you'll pass and grasp the brass ring at 12x?

Let's all keep riding their well designed caruselle of high-tech life...and death, in swirls of competition for our money and the fight over consumer favorites. Ok, let's take a poll - how many think

A. SONY and LG are going to make a killing with 12x burners, by Christmas in December, or ever?
    (raise your cyber limbs)
    B. PIONEER, Philips, Plextor, Toshiba...and the rest of the world is going to overwhelm 12x by the end of the year with 16x as a bigger and better standard than a V8 engine is to combustion engines?

While 12x could work, I think LG & SONY's problem is TIME - not enough of it to get a market foothold between now and 16x. And who's going to get excited about making 12x media for just a few burners? The only solution is to get Dell to shove a million units into each of the 100,000 computers per MONTH Dell ships between now and the end of the year when 16x permanently eclipses it. Or, HP could be the wild card!!!

17. PismoGuy macrumors member

I Know that DVD studio pro allows you to build 8.2 GB dvd disks. Now are Apple's superdrives capable of writing dvds that size? I thought so, but it is hard to find dvds larger than 4.7GB. Could any one of you shed some light on this.

Why would apple have software capable of building over 4.7 GB disks( One-sided) if their superdrives couldn't handle them? :confused:

18. Borg3of5 macrumors member

Borg3of5

G3 and DVD-R

Sorry if this is off-topic, but, anyone know if there is an external, Firewiere DVD-R drive that is supported by G3s?

19. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Professional level includes printing (or burning) to Dual-Layer on one side discs. At 8.5GB, not quite double a 4.7GB single side, single layer.

Read Post 6 above.

We should see Dual-Layer blank DVD-R media and drives before Summer. :cool: Watch Verbatim, Ritek and PioData for DL media discs, and Pioneer for a DVD±R/RW[DL] drive to be shown soon and out before summer.
    Or, maybe 10" discs? :D
    Your SuperDrive can't handle it,
    the new 8x SuperDrives just coming out now can't handle it, but DL is COMING.

20. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Yes.

LaCie d2 8x DVD burning DVD/CD±R/RW with FireWire400.
    I have the 4x version with a Pioneer DVR-A06 inside and bought it specifically to use with my G3 iBook 700.
    I rate it excellent ***** stars. It is super quiet, solid and much better than LaCie's "Porsche" model, which has a fan and is very noisy
    Plus you get the full $99 version of Roxio's Toast 6 FREE (check the box for details; there are 3 versions so do NOT buy one that you do NOT WANT) $250 sound fair?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The only kink in the armour is that Apple prevents iDVD from burning to (nor will it even recognize) an external SuperDrive. You are forced into using either first class DVD Studion Pro 2, or some 2nd class excuse for a DVD burner as software.
    Toast 6, though excellent for what it does do, is not in the same class or even type. But Toast 6 does things iDVD and DVD Studio Pro cannot or do not do, so you need Toast.

21. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

sure man

http://www.blu-ray.com/

March 9, 2004 - Matsu****a to Offer 50GB Blu-ray Disc Recorders in July

Matsu****a Electric (Panasonic) today announced that they will release a Blu-ray Disc recorder on the Japanese market in July and thereby become the second manufacturer to offer Blu-ray Disc recorders. The Matsu****a Blu-ray Disc recorder uses a two-layer disc structure, which means that a single disc can hold up to 50GB of data, or 4.5 hours of HD video. U.S. consumers still have to wait a while longer for Blu-ray products, but LG Electronics has previously stated that they intend to introduce a Blu-ray Disc recorder with a 200GB hard drive in the U.S. in the third quarter of 2004.

As for the those talking about 12x drives, the standard dvd-r 5 drives those holding only 4.7GB of storage will go upto 16x this year. Most companies are skipping right over 12x and going straight to 16x. 16x will likely be the fastest that 4.7 GB dvds will burn at. Hey that should be under 5 mins just like 52x is the current peak for burning cds. Not bad. Drives that burn 8.5 like the sony drive also burn 4.7 single layer disks. Which going to be the new "combo drive" burning both single and double layer dvds and cds aswell. Look for that to get big in 2005 and 2006 will be the year of blu-ray and HD. There's my forcast.

Tyler

22. vpalvarez macrumors regular

Forget firewire, the mouse or any other minute innovation. How about the personal computer.

23. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

PIONEER has again reduced the price of their 8x DVR-AO7

Pioneer has extended their $30 mail-in rebate program.
    [​IMG]
    PRICES are coming down folks. :D See NEW lower price:

DealMac.com
    http://dealmac.com/
    lowered its price to $109.49 shipped for either the black or beige-bezeled model

LiveWarehouse.com
    http://store.yahoo.com/livewarehouse/sh18xdvdvdud.html DVPI37560Regular price: $117.99 Sale price: $109.9

esbuy.com
    http://www.esbuy.com/pioneerdvr107.html
    Pioneer DVR-107 ELPIO107

And, download Pioneer $30 mail-in rebate coupon from
    VideoGuys.com
    at:
    http://www.videoguys.com
    expiration now beyound March 31st!

So, for a limited time you can combine the new low price of $179.95 with the Pioneer $30 mail-in rebate to reach a final price of $149.95!
    That’s right, you can now get the Pioneer DVR-A07 for under $150!!

24. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well it seems that Sony does have a dual layer DVD burner due for release the end of the 2nd quarter this year...

but i was just thinking... shouldn't i be able to burn 4.7GB to a DVD before i start worrying about 8+GB? now whatever DVD i put in my PB it only lets me burn 4.4GB? :confused: if this keeps up i'll only be able to burn 7GB to a dual layer DVD. :rolleyes:

25. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The same thing I mentioned about hard drives applies to DVDs too. They are allowed to advertise 4,700,000,000 byte capacity as 4.7 GB, and its really only 4.37 GB. So no worries.

So apply that to the 8.5GB disc and it will really only hold 7.91624188 GB.