8-core MacPro and Fincal Cut Studio

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by PowerMike G5, Nov 19, 2006.

1. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I have been contemplating getting a new 8-core MacPro (assuming one will come out eventually). Does anyone know whether Final Cut Pro will really benefit from 8 cores. If I was just using that application alone and nothing else ... would FCP distribute renders between all eight cores? I do some heavy rendering with my Quad 3.0Ghz MacPro now in FCP, but when I use the application alone without doing anything else in the background, I don't seem to max out my CPU usage, despite heavy filtering of multilayer HD video.

I mainly use Final Cut Studio for all my work. Will an 8-core mac pro really show a difference? Is it worth the upgrade?

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Well we're talking about both theoretical hardware and theoretical software, here. (By the time an 8 core comes out, if it does come out, we'll most likely be on FCP 6.)

So, theoretically, sure. What else would you like it to do?

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

8-core MacPro's should be coming in the next 3 months. As of right now, FCP does not take advantage of more than 2 cores (AFAIK). I'm sure (or maybe just hopeful) that they will release 5.1.3 with support for more than two cores. Nobody knows when this will happen except Apple. But it is bound to happen since people will soon start realizing that upgrading from a 2 or 4 proc mac will not result in a speed bump for individual apps.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yeah, an 8-core Mac Pro is ONLY good in Final Cut Studio if you're rendering in FCP, encoding in Compressor, rendering in Shake, AND working in Motion AT THE SAME TIME.

5. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

FCP needs background rendering and exporting, so one can continue cutting. I think that would speed up FCP immensely for people working with HDV. Maybe next version? :)

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Maya will eat up all those 8 cores :) mmmmm tastey

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

One can only hope. I am constantly going on render walks while I could be working on other projects, especially since most of my work is HD now.

8. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Oh Please!!!! Apple Please!!!! 48 Hours to render a project after some IDIOT (the filters won't let me say what i really think) deleted the render files to make some space. All i had to do was add the credits, but it took almost 3 days. :rolleyes:

9. howinson macrumors member

Just throw some cash to buy back your time and get yourself an avid editing suite like adrenaline ? :D

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

Seems like you have answered your own question: If your task is not being bottle necked by lack of CPU power, then adding more CPU power will not make it go faster.

8-cores will help in only a few specialized cases where you are doing much computation but not much data movement.

The key is to watch the activity meter. something is the performance bottle neck, typically either the disk or the CPU. Addressing a non-bottle neck will not help

11. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

this is also my understanding :D

iloveyou

12. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Or you could buy a new Mac Pro, and swap in two 4-core Xeons.

14. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Compressor with Qmaster will use as many processors as you have.

15. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

You mean like the After Effects plug-in called "Nucleo"?
    :D

16. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

HDV can be very slow no matter what system you use cause of the i-frames.

My experience has been bad cause i worked on a very heavy grade with lots of effects. Some shot shaving maybe 20 filters on it.

But for the most part renders are alright they just don't take full advantage of the hardware.