8 Core MacPros?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by menziep, Aug 6, 2006.

1. menziep macrumors 6502a

There were rumors about a macpro with 4 cpus (Dual core) was there anymore rumors on that?

If apple brings out a macpro with 8 Core (4 Dual Core CPU'S) or in 2007 a 16 Core (4 Quad Core CPU'S) that would be cool as apple would of Answered part of my dream, The other part of it is being able to Afford it!!!:)

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, considering there's a PowerMac with 4 processor cores there will most likely be a Mac pro with 4 processor cores - the only way to make a 4-core Mac Pro is to use Intel's new Xeon chip codenamed "Woodcrest." Other "lesser" Mac Pros could use Core 2 Duo "Conroe" chips.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

to have an octomac one would need the MP version of woodcrest that can be used in a 4 socket system, this cpu is not available yet and costs a silly amount of money.

4. elbirth macrumors 65816

There is rumor about Intel making a quad-core CPU in the future, so all it would take is for that to be able to handle a 2-CPU multiprocessor setup and you've got your octo-core.

I'd really love to see this as well, but fear it'd be insanely expensive and I'd never be able to afford it. I just hope they immediately produce a quad-core Mac Pro so when I get around to buying one (might try to wait until after Macworld in January) I won't have to wait for them to come out.

5. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

6. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Hmm..It sounds cool, but what is the point? It would be only more expensive,and it is highly unlikely to run faster than a quad machine. Data throughput on the busses is the same, and very few programs are multithreaded to even utilize a quad core machine (hence the G5 2.7 will outperform the Quad 2.5 in some tests)

Yes, you can do "more things at once" but how many people are doing several CPU intensive tasks at once?

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I thought the whole point in the BSD kernel was that it makes any piece of software talk to dual core processors. I'm no expert on this, but that's what I was told...

8. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

I am no expert either, but the operating system (including the kernel) can run different tasks on the different cores/CPUs. To make use of more than one core in a single application, the application has to be explicitly designed to do that. The libraries in the OS provide some frameworks to make that easier for the programers, but they still have to develop their applications to make use of multiple cores/CPUs.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I think that would just be overkill (kinda like a Powermac G5 with 16 GB of RAM). It would be EXPENSIVE and pretty hard to use all that processing power.

11. wako macrumors 65816

What? are you telling me you dont watch 16 divx encoded movies at a time?! ;)

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

There are better, productive, and logical ways to easily use up all that processing power and still need more. Just because you don't need it using Safari doesn't mean scientists don't need it. The Power Mac and it's future replacement are "pro" machines for a reason - and you are probably not one of them.

13. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

14. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

When are the quadcore laptops coming out haha? One more thing.......

Yea, my dream will come true probably around 2009-2010