Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I am trying to decide if it is worth upgrading from 8 GB of ram to 16 GB of ram ? It will be older DDR3 ram and on a PC.

My problem is in one way I want to because it is so cheap but another way I don't because I plan on upgrading my whole PC within 6 months.

This will be for Battlefield 1. Does anyone know if you saw a difference going from 2 sticks of 4 GB to 2 more sticks of 4 GB to a total of 16 GB in Battlefield 1? If you don't know its ok. I just heard people say there minimum fps increased going from 8 to 16 GB.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
One of the best things you can do is monitor your current RAM useage.

I run 16gb in most of my main systems, but honestly I'd be fine with 8. The only thing it really saves me is a small amount of paging out. An SSD can compensate for that somewhat also, as paging in and out is faster vs. a platter drive.

For the time being, I think most everyone will see a difference between 4gb and 8gb, but fewer will see a difference between 8 and 16.

Reactions: jbachandouris

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Don't know how accurate these stats are, but as a general guide I just got these from MSI Afterburner while running Battlefield 1 multiplayer.

Resolution 3325x2078 (I think this is 3x DSR supersampling in the Nvidia control panel)
Video settings are all on Ultra, I have 16 GB of (older DDR3) RAM in this computer

RAM usage peaked at 9 GB
VRAM usage peaked at 4.8 GB
Max GPU usage was 99%
Max CPU usage was 100% across all cores, which I've never seen in any other game, temps reached 80 C (this is an Ivy Bridge i7 at 4.4 GHz)
Framerate hovered around 90 fps

I don't think you need loads of RAM for this game but it really does tax the CPU. I read somewhere that i5 systems can have trouble with it on the highest settings as it benefits a lot from hyperthreading.

So there you go. If your GPU is strong enough then your CPU will probably bottleneck you before the RAM does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.