80,000 Airport Express Preorders!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Grimace, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Looks like any non-US customer is going to have to wait a while for the Airport Express:

[From Macbytes]

Apple's ship date for the AirPort Express has slipped. Customers who pre-ordered the mini base station were given a July 15 ship date. However there are reports that Apple has sent email indicating a delay and a new ship date of July 30.

The Apple Store is now showing a 3-4 week build time for the diminutive WiFi hub. It would appear that the massive 80,000 pre-orders have left Apple with a supply problem in Europe - in the same way as the iPod mini that was delayed for months owing to massive US orders. In the US the AirPort Express shipped yesterday.

2. klaus macrumors 6502a

klaus

3. zv470 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but... what makes american orders more important than international?

4. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I agree... nothing

5. zv470 macrumors 6502

Sorry wasn't trying to dis americans ;)

Anyway... I cancelled my Airport Express order two weeks ago, and bought an Airport Extreme (w. modem) Base-station instead. Apple New Zealand have recently dropped the price by a couple of hundred dollars. :D Now there are only 79999 pre-orders :p

6. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

I don't think Apple prioritizes Americans vs. others. The number of Apple Stores is much greater in the US, so they probably don't have enough to stock the stores and distribute the web orders (and therefore delays) equally across the globe. If there were 4 week delays for US customers, but the Apple Stores were stocked, then there would be a mad rush at the stores....wait a minute....that's not a bad idea....

Anyway, I think it is related to sheer numbers of users in this country being higher.

7. Bhennies macrumors 6502

because they are designed here, the company is run from here, and the most $$$ for apple comes from here.

BTW, I'm still waiting for mine as well as my 23" display- last I checked there were many members in Europe already posting pics of their displays, and I ordered mine right after they were introduced. Not everything works that way I guess.