$800 - $1,000 for a Rev B TiBook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macktheknife, Feb 4, 2003.

1. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

My local Mac store (not an Apple store) is branching into the used Mac business by offering to purchase used G4s and G3s. I happened to have my Rev. B 550 Mhz TiBook with 512 MB RAM, 30 GB HD, and a combo drive with me, and out of curiousity, I went to see how much it could fetch.

The owner was a nice guy who floated a price range of about $800 - $1,000 for my machine, depending of its actual state. Now, I understand I could probably fetch $1,200 or so through eBay, I know that the guy has to make a profit somehow, so I wasn't too surprised he offered me a slightly lower-than-market price for my TiBook. Also, considering all the fraud and the hassles of selling online, I don't think selling it locally to the reseller is too bad of an idea.

My TiBook is about a year old but has no Apple Care. I'm considering upgrading to a 1 Ghz 15-inch TiBook when it gets updated. How much do you guys think I could get for my current TiBook?

2. TheMightyG macrumors regular

Re: $800 - $1,000 for a Rev B TiBook?

I don't think 1000 is out of line, especially if you've upped the RAM to 512. Did you install the AirPort card? 800 seems too low. I agree you could probably get $1200 on eBay, but with all of its inherent risks and extra costs (escrow, shipping, insurance etc) it may not be worth the extra 200 bucks.
    I was looking to sell my rev B tiBook as well (I have the 667Mhz combo drive model). I'm asking for $1600 with applecare, a carrying case and a 2nd battery. That seems to be what others are charging for that rev on the Powerbookcentral.com classifieds, although I haven't had any nibbles yet.

3. macktheknife thread starter macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Re: Re: $800 - $1,000 for a Rev B TiBook?

Yeah, unfortunately, my TiBook doesn't have an Airport card and AppleCare--which definitely reduces its resale value. However, I still do think $1,000 is a pretty good deal, but I'll do a little more research (and wait for the next TiBook to be released) before biting.

4. iGav macrumors G3

I sold my Rev A 500MHz with 512MB at Christmas for £1100 or $1700.... and it didn't have either an Airport card or Applecare.... But it was in 100% perfect condition!!

I understandably was totally stoked!!

:)

5. TheMightyG macrumors regular

You are one lucky guy.

6. iGav macrumors G3

I think I'd agree with that.... :) Although for some reason used TiBook prices here in the UK always seem high... they're still in demand.... particularly ones that aren't battered!!

$1000 dollars is like totally giving it away... well it would be if it was on sale here!!

G

7. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Airport card is worth about $30 when you are selling it with your system.

Apple Care would get you that extra $150-$200 though :(

Walk in, walk out with cash/check I think is worth the slight bit less money, just from the aggravation standpoint, as others have mentioned.

IMHO, YMMV.

8. macktheknife thread starter macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

This is more or less what my conclusion is: Less money made by selling it through a reseller, but less hassles and perhaps more security. Walk in, walk out, done: no eBay, PayPal, UPS, and no worries. :) If the new TiBooks do come out, I will definitely consider selling it to the reseller for about $1,000. I paid about $2,800 for the TiBook a year ago, so if I do indeed get a $1,000 for the computer, I would have effectively paid about $150 per month for its use for a year.

Anyhow, thanks for the opinions. If anyone else wants to throw in his or her two cents, please feel free to do so. I will post an update if and when I decide to sell.

9. iGav macrumors G3

Remember though, that when the updated 15" make their appearance, your machine will lose more value.....

Good luck though.....:)

10. macktheknife thread starter macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Yeah, I know. :( If I were to sell it now, I would have probably tried to negotiate a bit more than $1,000, but if I were to sell it after the introduction of the new TiBooks, I'd be happy to walk away with about $1,000. As long as it's around the $1,000 range (plus or minus $100), I'll be happy. :)

11. TheMightyG macrumors regular

You may want to also try the powerbookcentral.com classifieds too.
    You skip the ebay mess and if you use escrow you have pretty good security.. the escrow fee for a 1000.00 purchase will only be about 30 bucks or so. You will probably get closer to your 1200 asking price if you decide to go this way without sacrificing countless sleepless nights

Good luck with whatever you choose.