800mhz TiBook!

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Apr 29, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    New TiBooks are here!

Apple released new TiBooks today:

Apple® today introduced the new Titanium PowerBook® G4 line featuring an all-new, high-resolution display, faster PowerPC G4 processors, the industry's first integrated Digital Visual Interface (DVI) port and the industry's only integrated Gigabit Ethernet in a notebook.

- 1280x854
    - 800mhz, 1MB L3 Cache
    - DVI (with optional DVI->ADC converter)
    - ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
    - Gigabit Ethernet
    - 800Mhz model has Airport Preinstalled

667mhz, 256MB RAM, 30GB, Airport Ready. $2499.
    800mhz, 512MB RAM, 40GB, Airport Installed. $3199.
  2. macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California

hoooray for Apple!

so April 29th was the day, huh?

3. macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Must say, as tempted as I am to sell my Rev ! 500Mhz TiBook, I'm just gonna wait for that !Ghz puppy!!! hopefully will be released in Feb 03, just intime for my upgrade my mac window!! :p

This new TiBook certainly has some superb specs though!!! especially the L43 cache and DVI out......

Ohwell only 10 more months until I upgrade!!! :rolleyes:

I can't wait!! :D
  4. macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2002
    Portland, Maine
    New Typeface

I'm a graphic designer, and I notice that though the large typeface on Apple's site (ITC Garamond Light Condensed) is the same as ever, the accent typeface -- the small, sans-serif, grey one -- is now Myriad, instead of Lucida Grande.

Perhaps this is evidence that the site will indeed stop resembling Aqua, because Lucida Grande, which it used to use, is, of course, the GUI's typeface.

(Of course most of the site still uses Lucida, I'm just talking about the new PowerBook and eMac pages.)

Perhaps it is of some significance that Myriad (with Minion) is used by Adobe Systems for all their materials. It's the font in the print advertisements for Acrobat.
  5. macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2001
    Devon, UK
    Does anyone know if the new Powerbook uses the Apollo G4 processors?
  6. macrumors member

Jul 16, 2001
    good, but in Europe prices are hight

3199 US $

in Europe becomes...

3799 Euro

Common, Apple prices are too hight in Europe.

With 3799 Euro I can buy two PC Notebook of the same power.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2001
    Re: New Typeface

Apple use their own version of the Garamond, called, dum da dum... Apple Garamond.....

But back to topic:

Drooooooooooool :p

- nuff said
  8. macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    A good bet

A good bet would be YES on the 800 and no on the 667. And this would be the 7445 which was released back in February and had a (then) ceiling of 800mhz.

I wouldn't be suprised if the 667 is the same chip that's been in the top-line TiBook. But I wouldn't be suprised if it was a 7445 either.

Bottom line, I have no real answer, just my opinion and conjecture.
  9. macrumors member

Oct 25, 2001
    Re: good, but in Europe prices are hight

try the top model: 3800$ becomes 5400€
    now if this was a typo and 5400€ should be 4400€, that would make a bit more sense but the 'typo' is thesame everywhere, even the UK so

10. macrumors member

Apr 16, 2002
    I like them. But simply put, TOO MUCH FOR ME!! I want a laptop. I want a mac. I want at least comperable speed to a 1.7 ghz P4. So, I WANT A G4!!!! How about some new ibooks, after we talked about it tons, apple gave new PB's , lets start those Ibook rumors!

Actually, it makes a lot of sense for them to be on the way. it also I think makes a greater possiblity for the G5.

old imac 600 mhz G3
    ibook 600 mhz G3
    emac 700mhz G4
    imac 800 mhz g4
    pb 800 mhz g4
    Power Mac 1000 mhz G4

The Power mac is just too close to the PB and the Imac. I see a significant power bump, or a new processor, or both on the way.

The ibook is just too slow. The Power mac's companion lap top is on the same processor and only 200 mhz slower. I am sure that gap will increce, but . . .

the ibook is on an older processor and 200 mhz behind to it's mate. I think a 550, 600, or 667 mhz ibook has to be coming soon.

also, what do the emac and new pb do to the imac. IS ti going to become the ultra bottem bargin apple, or is it going to be discontinued before long?

Anyways, good work apple, I think you have done a fine job on the PB line, now we need to see some work on the ibook, and the Powermac!
  11. macrumors member

Jul 16, 2001
    Prices in Europe

I live in Italy, and to the base price of 3799 I need to add also 20% tax (IVA).

So I can buy the middle configuration for the "fabulous" price of 4559 Euro.

Obviously I will never buy a computer for that price.
  12. macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2002
    New/missing ports!

Seems like they dropped the Irda port, but added an analog audio input port, as can be seen here:

13. macrumors member

Apr 16, 2002

I really like that mic imput. being a classical musician . . . now, we need one on the ipod. the portability and the recording quality of a minidisk player is keeping me from an ipod
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2002
    Denver, CO

Can anyone tell me what that is? The port is clearly different from the one on my 667.

15. macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    Re: good, but in Europe prices are hight

im so tired of this crap.

so go ahead, ****, get off these forums, go buy your PC laptop and bitch about it on some PC forum. otherwise, complain about the price in more intelligent ways than "PCs cost this much"
  16. Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    my Rev. A is up for grabs...

best offer gets it all!!! :p
  17. macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    Re: DVI

Thats one one the biggies of this new TiBook. You can connect directly to those huge HD 23-inch Apple Displays with that DVI port. Awesome. Imagine doing your presentations on that monster display. DRRRROOOOOOOOOOL! :p :p :p

18. macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Re: Re: DVI

Actually, you can't. The DVI port will allow you to connect directly to many newer LCD screens that have a DVI connection. Apple's LCD screens have a proprietary connector called ADC. What Apple is offering is an adaptor that will convert from DVI to ADC. This adaptor is $150.

Personally, going with a DVI port is the right thing to do. Many people take their TiBooks to other sites where they need to connect with other screens and projectors. Most of these are VGA. Some are DVI. NONE are ADC. By making the DVI standard and bundling a VGA adaptor, Apple has got both bases covered.

NOTE-I read that Apple is offering a $150 rebate when you purchase the DVI-ADC adaptor with an Apple LCD.
  19. Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    FANTASTIC! About time, but I like others am waiting for the Ghz model :D
  20. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2002

I just got a big tax brake. I may have to get one today. Does anyone think they will upgrade them by the 2002 Macworld Expo??? Also should I hook up with one of these or wait?
  21. macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2002
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Disappointed in the 1 firewire port... And I was hoping for DVD writer.

BUT ATA 66 HD is nice as well as ATI + DVI! All in all - I want one.
  22. macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    I just found out about this... now I need to go home to change my shorts, and then put an ad up for my 500MHz TiBook.

Thank you Apple!!!!

Time to start b*tch-slapping those peecee people.
  23. macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2001
    I am so excited!!!! I love seeing that "NEW" icon next to the pbooks. Nice work Apple.

And all you "Too much money" folks. Tough. Apple is a luxury, a premium purchase for enthusiasts who know they pay for what they get. If it seems to high, dont buy (I sound like Johnny Cochran). Or shop the deals like myself and many others have. I can wait to see what happens to the prices of existing inventory, both at Apple and their online resellers.

Any word on when this becomes available?
  24. macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Decisions just got tougher...for me!

Oh what to do, what to do!

I find myself wanting to buy right now, knowing
    that I don't need, never needed in fact, the power
    of the G4 Tibook, yet thinking, "well, you've
    strategically waited this long, you might as well
    wait through MWNY."

But, some type of logic (I think) says that nothing much would happen in New York, but what do I know! I think I should probably buy.

25. macrumors member

Oct 25, 2001
    I'm not complaining about the price in the US, I would buy one right away
    but 4,866$ (5400€) for the top model in Europe is unfair
    a price difference of about 450$ is quite common but a 1000$ extra??