800mhz versus 1ghz dual ??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Gena, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Gena macrumors newbie

okay -- how much of a difference is there REALLY.

im interested in how much of a difference there is for video editing in particular.

i mean -- is the difference worth 1400 bucks?

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

that all depends on how much you value time....is your time worth 1400 bucks?

3. Gena thread starter macrumors newbie

that all depends on how much time we are talking about.

is there a significant increase in rendering speed in FCP3 on OSX?are we talking 2 seconds faster for a 4 minute clip? or are we talking twice as fast?

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Gena, rendering is slow and every body have to deal with that, just as the web surfing is.

Before spending such ammount of money, drop 1.5 GB of ram in to your computer. Then if you need more speed you can get another computer later, but what takes time is the design more than rendering.

I preffer to have 2 dual 500 machines (each under $1000) with full ram than one dual 1GHz. When one computer is rendering I can work in the other one.

I may even do a net work rendering!

That is it, all for less than the price of a dual 1 GHz.

And do not fall in to the fever of getting the latest mac. If you go to any post house they still having 400 Mhz mac with plenty of ram.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

some benchmarks

though that was probably the fastest machine when they got it...

gena, there are some speed comparisons at:
    http://www.barefeats.com/pm05.html

looks like the duals do quite well. the dual 800 consistently outperformed the single 933. maybe you can pick up a used one.

i agree w/ mymemory's statement about loading it w/ RAM.

another thought: i'd be hesitant right now to pick up their most expensive machine, considering the rumors of DDR machines around the corner. wait a couple of weeks and see.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i actually like mymemory's suggestion of having a second machine...

nothing slows you down more than not being able to work at all while rendering... sure, some rendering can be done in a timely way while you have lunch or overnight, but some of it needs to be done while you work... so i'd say wait til new ones come out. then grab a dp 800 (shoudl be pretty cheap by then) and if the new ones are really fast, grab one of them. if not much better, grab 2 dual 800s... or a dual 8 and dual ghz.

is what i'd like to be able to do myself....

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no doubt. if one can afford it.

a friend of mine who's a professional 2d animator does her creating/editing on an early g4, then renders on her old 9600.

i'm sure she'd buy another machine if she could afford one, but i think the above demonstrates the power of a second machine, however slow it may be.

gena what do you have now? perhaps that could be your render machine.

8. Sherman macrumors regular

The quad G4's (G5's?) should really make a difference in rendering, but a Dual 800 once the new line comes out should drop in price, buy it then.

Amazing deduction.

9. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

I agree with Sherman (though I'm not sure about the quad G4/G5 :)), definitely wait for another couple weeks and see what is in store for the PowerMacs.

Bill

10. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I know a guy who does exactly the same thing with a 9600.

Yes the problem is to wait for the render to move on, and yes, the best move is to wait for the new machines to come out to get the old ones creaper.

Old is not bad (this are not the 80's any more), read my signature carefully it is all about that.